Comparison

what do you mean?

You PLAYED the same mp3 file in both apps?

You RENDERED a file to mp3 in both apps?

Be specific, as it sounds like you are possibly stumbling near to the DAW summing canard which has been disproven too many times to count

I was in the studio with a guy who was saying the same thing about Reaper and Audition yesterday.

I rendered to .WAV and couldn't hear any difference between the mix in Reaper and the mixdown in WMP. So I wondered if it might be the LAME converter being used wrongly.

Anyway, consider me subscribed to the thread. I want to see what happens.

One thing I noticed right off when I switched from Vegas to Reaper was that Vegas has a few mastering plugins that I was using as standard efx plugins (because I didn't know any better), and so I thought Vegas sounded better too. But my mixes didn't translate well to other systems, like a small boom box, or the car stereo. When I stopped using Vegas all together and remixed my stuff in Reaper, I was able to get good results no matter what I played the CD on. It's partly because I am getting better at it, but also not trying to use a $600 pro app to do my home mixing on.

MP3s will be the same no matter what software you are using, assuming you are using the same MP3 encoder library (like LAME), same bitrate, etc.

Most internet MP3s are rendered at:
44.1KHz (44100) sample rate
128 KBPS bitrate
CBR

I recommend:
44.1KHz (44100) sample rate
192 KBPS bitrate
CBR
q=0 (quality = 0, or highest, which makes a huge difference)

That is the best compromise between file size and quality. In most stuff I don't hear a difference between 192KBPS and the better 320KBPS, but 320 is much bigger in size.

Edit: Attaching a screenshot of the "recommended" settings. You may want to change Resample mode: to "Better 192" if it takes too long.

Attachments

• reaper_render_mp3.gif
    reaper_render_mp3.gif
    21.6 KB · Views: 90
I have to say, when I first used the mp3 encoder in Reaper, it sounded a little weird. It might just be that you have to be careful with the settings you choose. Maybe it just doesn't like certain settings very much... The mp3 encoder I've used in ACID always worked fine.

Back