Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Collaboration via email

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Seems like this thread has ceased to be of interest to the OP, and of insufficient interest to others to bother to read much more than the first post... (I still dislike Mondays )
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks
    My collaborator have worked remotely for years now. The important thing is to make sure that you work in identically set out folders. So as we both use Cubase, have the same samples and same gizmos, we starts off in a folder called butterflies (to use one in prep now) Inside this folder is the cubase files, actually all with sequential numbering, so he sticks into dropbox the entire folder = a cubase .cpr file called butterflies1 and in the audio sub-folder will be the files in use, plus the numerous not in use files - but the entire thing. I then download the folder from drop box to my machine and open it. If it's a small change, the file name gets updated to butterflies1a and then the entire folder is put back into drop box - even if no new audio files have been added, just a simple eq change in bar 51 or something tiny. We got confused when we started just adding or changing bits of a project. It's difficult to know when a small change has created other new files, so maybe you actually accidentally recorded 2s of blank audio file, then saved the track, but didn't notice? when he loads it there will be a file missing message and you waste time finding it. So we both download the entire folder, then delete it from drop box. when we finish, we stick the entire folder back. Sure this takes time, but since we've always done the entire folders, it's been completely reliable.

Thanks
    No, I just opened the Dropbox account and I've been watching videos today of how to use it. And when I open Dropbox, it doesn't look like the page in the vids. Oh boy!

Thanks
    What operating system and browser are you using @rose62 ?

Thanks
    windows 10 and chrome. I add the file but I'm told my friend can't edit unless it's a folder instead of a file!! I hate being so inept.

Thanks
    Confused? Dropbox gives you the option to set if they can read, or edit the files in the folder - how about using iCloud storage - that works fine too. Dropbox is sometimes a bit clever for it's own good. The critical thing is simply making sure your storage location has exactly the same hierarchical structure.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rose62 View Post
    windows 10 and chrome. I add the file but I'm told my friend can't edit unless it's a folder instead of a file!! I hate being so inept.
    When you hover over the file you want to share in Dropbox, there's a Share "button" to the right. Click on that, and then at the bottom of the dialog that pops up, click on Create a Link , and when it says the link is created, in the same place in that dialog, click on Copy Link.

Once you've done that, you can go to the email you are sending, or a Quick Reply window here, and Paste (Ctrl-V) the URL into the email/text area.

It would be useful for someone here to see what you have been trying to share!

Thanks
    So how can I share it here?

I added a file to DB but it said that my friend couldn't edit unless it's a folder. So, in DB, I created a new folder then put the file in it. When I put his email in the contact box, it said that he could edit. He's working 16 today, so he won't see it until Tuesday afternoon, at the earliest.

Thanks
    You share a folder the same way you share a file, as I described in my post. Once the link is created and copied to the clipboard, you can paste it into a reply here.

Thanks
    Last edited by rose62; 12-11-2018 at 13:46.

Thread Information