Building Dedicated Reaper Box -- Suggestions?

bongolation

With luck, tomorrow I'll probably get a new motherboard/CPU at Fry's and build a dedicated Reaper box.

I'm assuming that by 2009 there shouldn't be much issue with hardware, but I thought I'd check for known issues with chipsets, etc. I'm planning on AMD Quad-Core, XP, and whatever motherboard Fry's has on sale.

Thanks for any thoughts on this!

dice 2

as far as i know any PC will work (as long as it is powerful enough)
but there are know issues with dice 2 (if you are going to use firewire)
dice 2 is a chipset for some firewire interfaces

other than that reaper is pretty compatible.

**not subscribing to this thread since that is all i know on this matter**

-mike-

I built my box specifically with Reaper and my FW Interface in mind and haven't had a problem. Other's have mentioned the DICE-II, and that's what my PreSonus FireStudio 2626 has, so I spent some time looking at known good hardware on their BBS and then hit Newegg with a vengeance.

I think I read somewhere that there was a slight advantage to Intel over AMD when it came to DICE-II as well but I can't remember for sure now, it's been awhile.

the firepod does not use DICE II.

and DICE II isnt just an incompatiblity with reaper, it sucks, in general.

+1:D

I'm a newly converted Reaper user (last few days:)) coming from Sonar. I'm using my firepod with it no problems at all, and can honestly say I don't notice any latency at all.

I won't be using firewire in the immediate future, so that's not an issue.

Thanks for the reassurance that Reaper isn't hardware-finicky. :)

Been using a PreSonus FireStudio 2626 my entire run with Reaper, not a single issue.

thats great!!! I wanted to check out the firestudio, but have heard so many examples of it being high latency and crappy, i didnt do so. This is the first time ive heard something favorable about it.

thats great!!! I wanted to check out the firestudio, but have heard so many examples of it being high latency and crappy, i didnt do so. This is the first time ive heard something favorable about it.

PreSonus just released some new drivers for it late last year. Supposedly it makes the DICE-II work with SONAR which was it's arch nemesis. I haven't upgraded drivers/firmware yet, more of an if it ain't broke don't fix it sort of guy.

I've used my Reaper/PreSonus rig on two different DAW's now, one out of a computer that I had laying around and my new(er) one that I purpose built, and both have been fine. I can send you the specs on it if you want.

The last box I built was specifically for Reaper. Used an io|26 for the interface. Never had any problems with the computer or getting anything to recognize anything else. Only problem I ever had was going too heavy on the VSTs. Apparently 2 GB of RAM and a 2.2 Ghz proc. aren't enough to run upwards of 10 hogging plugins on upwards of 10 tracks...? Heh.

Back