Boosting a guitar solo

jcrouse

hi all,

i'm just dense or something, but i can't figure out how to work with envelopes, particularly volume. i've gone over the manual a bunch of times, and have tried a few things.

i'm simply trying to boost the volume of a lead guitar track during the solo. i've tried to do it with the write function and use the fader, but with my setup, i can only use the touchpad, and can't get it even.

my questions are these:

- can i set a volume envelope for just the solo section or do i have to have it for the whole track?
- how do i set a point on just the beginning and end of the solo without any between?
- if i can't do that, how do i select the two points as start end and raise the volume of all of them at the same time?
- how do i print this change permanently once, and if, i finally get this figured out?

could someone be so kind as to give me a step by step on this so that i can understand the basics?

Thanks in advance.

JC

One easy way would be to SPLIT the beginning and end of the guitar solo, move it to it's own track, and set the volume of that track to whatever you want it to be.

hi all,

i'm just dense or something, but i can't figure out how to work with envelopes, particularly volume. i've gone over the manual a bunch of times, and have tried a few things.

i'm simply trying to boost the volume of a lead guitar track during the solo. i've tried to do it with the write function and use the fader, but with my setup, i can only use the touchpad, and can't get it even.

my questions are these:

- can i set a volume envelope for just the solo section or do i have to have it for the whole track?
- how do i set a point on just the beginning and end of the solo without any between?
- if i can't do that, how do i select the two points as start end and raise the volume of all of them at the same time?
- how do i print this change permanently once, and if, i finally get this figured out?

could someone be so kind as to give me a step by step on this so that i can understand the basics?

Thanks in advance.

JC

Rami's answer is the simplest way of doing this.

However, you may need more complex volume changes than just boosting a solo.

I don't know what version of Logic you are using, but I'm using Logic 5 on XP,. I believe that the basic functions will be similar.

Try this:

1 In the 'Arrange' screen, View/Track Automation

2 Enable the view for the "Current Track" (which is the guitar track of interest).

3 The default envelope you will see is the volume envelope, represented by a line running through the track at the current volume.

4 Clicking on this line gives you an adjustment point. You can move these up or down, or left and right.

5 You need four of these points; two before the solo section and two after.

6 The outer two will fix the level of the guitar as it is to be throughout the song. Move the inner two up to give the solo the increase you need.

Rami's answer is the simplest way of doing this.

However, you may need more complex volume changes than just boosting a solo.

I don't know what version of Logic you are using, but I'm using Logic 5 on XP,. I believe that the basic functions will be similar.

Try this:

1 In the 'Arrange' screen, View/Track Automation

2 Enable the view for the "Current Track" (which is the guitar track of interest).

3 The default envelope you will see is the volume envelope, represented by a line running through the track at the current volume.

4 Clicking on this line gives you an adjustment point. You can move these up or down, or left and right.

5 You need four of these points; two before the solo section and two after.

6 The outer two will fix the level of the guitar as it is to be throughout the song. Move the inner two up to give the solo the increase you need.

Forget everything I said above!! I thought I was in the Logic forum, then realised later it was the Reaper forum.

For Reaper, the process is similar.

1 Select the track you are interested in.

2 On the track header, click the 'envelope' button (it sits between the 'sends' and 'effects' buttons.

3 Clicking this brings up and envelope dialogue box. On 'Track envelopes', click 'volume', then close the dialogue box. The envelope is represented by a red line running through the track.

4 Clicking on this line creates points that can be moved up, down, left or right.

5 Create four points, two before and two after the section you wanted boosted.

6 Keep the outer two as they are, raise the inner two to get the volume increase you want.

Back