Being able to switch between presets for VSTi's

Seafroggys

So obviously I know how to use automation in Reaper, but there is an aspect of automation that I wonder if its possible.

So I have a song that uses a single synth. The song is very sectional, so the synth has a completely different sound in each section. I've managed to find the sound I want in each section using the presets with a bit of modifications. The problem? How do I use automation to switch between presets? Is it even possible? I mean, hypothetically I could just use automation to change every setting by hand, but that would be a nightmare and take on a lot of time.

Would a much easier alternative just be to load different synths and activate each one at the appropriate section?

So obviously I know how to use automation in Reaper, but there is an aspect of automation that I wonder if its possible.

So I have a song that uses a single synth. The song is very sectional, so the synth has a completely different sound in each section. I've managed to find the sound I want in each section using the presets with a bit of modifications. The problem? How do I use automation to switch between presets? Is it even possible? I mean, hypothetically I could just use automation to change every setting by hand, but that would be a nightmare and take on a lot of time.

Would a much easier alternative just be to load different synths and activate each one at the appropriate section?

I'm sure you can automate some of the settings in the VSTi (woudl depend on the VSTi I guess), but I'd just split the recorded MIDI track where needed, and throw the pieces on separate tracks each with its own VSTi.

I'm sure you can automate some of the settings in the VSTi (woudl depend on the VSTi I guess), but I'd just split the recorded MIDI track where needed, and throw the pieces on separate tracks each with its own VSTi.

I have to agree with this. I am sure there is a way you can do it, but why go through the hassle? You should not see a hit in CPU usage and if you were to, then automate turning it on and off, but I still don't think you would.

To me, the suggestion is the simplest approach, unless you just want to learn the JSFX language. That would be a a good use of it.

Thanks guys. Yeah it just looks like having different synths and automating them on and off will be the best. Thanks!

Back