Another Interface question

Lo-Fi Mike

I apologize for all the interface / reaper questions, (this has to be my 3rd) but i'm starting to see the light at the end of the circuits.

so yeah i did get the alpha (lexicon) just to hold me over after i sold my 003, and i must say it is pretty nice after i updated the driver. Of Course i'm using an SSL for a mic pre.

So here is my real question.
After finding out that almost every firewire interface is using Dice 2
I've also heard bad (previously a typo "mad") things about MOTU and PC but here goes my set up in mind.

MOTU 8pre > Windows XP (SP3) > Reaper

Anyone using or have used this set-up, anyone want to advice a change?

thanks in advance.

--mike--

Last edited:
Nothing at all 'mad about PC and Motu' if you follow the requirements.

You are REQUIRED to use a firewire chipset with TexasInstruments or Lucent firewire chips (says so on Motu's FAQ page).
And just about EVERY firewire interface manufacturer will tell you that the TI firewire chipset is the gold standard.

That just means using a PCI or, in the case of a laptop, PCMCIA/Expresscard with TI chips.
You can get them for $30 and up. Belkin and SIIG cards with TI chips have great reputations.
Newegg.com is a good place to start, but ALWAYS read the spec sheets to make sure TI chipset is in there.

....I've been using a Gateway XP laptop with TI firewire chipset with a Motu828mkII (same guts and drivers as 8pre) daisy-chained to a Glyph firewire drive for years now with ZERO problems using Reaper and a ton of other audio programs. I'd get another Motu product again in a heartbeat....

Perfect

You are REQUIRED to use a firewire chipset with TexasInstruments or Lucent firewire chips (says so on Motu's FAQ page).
And just about EVERY firewire interface manufacturer will tell you that the TI firewire chipset is the gold standard.

That's perfect, i already have a SIIG Pyro 64 connected to my Glyph.

thanks Bro'
---mike---

how good are the glyph hard drives? I hear they are built specifically for audio / video? I need something that has firewire and usb 2.0 so i have option but I don't think they do... and I want bus powered so it's portable but I'm not sure about that either. And I hear they are pretty expensive....anyone?

sorry about hi-jacking the thread alittle.

My Glyph GT050 80Gb drive has been solid as a rock.
They sell drives with multiple interfaces, USB2, Firewire AND Sata so you can hook them up any way you want.

They are the ONLY manufacturer that will do data recovery if your drive fails under warranty
(have you ever priced data recovery??? THOUSANDS. No other drive manufacter will even talk about it.....)

Finally, my Glyph is DEAD SILENT. TOTALLY DEAD SILENT.
By that I mean you CANNOT hear it run at all.
I have to look at the indicator light to know its on; most externals sound like vacuum cleaners.

....they're well worth the few extra bucks you'll pay for 'em.

4 years latter

how good are the glyph hard drives? I hear they are built specifically for audio / video? I need something that has firewire and usb 2.0 so i have option but I don't think they do... and I want bus powered so it's portable but I'm not sure about that either. And I hear they are pretty expensive....anyone?

sorry about hi-jacking the thread alittle.

I've had mine for over 4 yrs and it still runs good as new.
it even out lasted the computer i was using when i bought it.

-mike-

Back