wondering if it was a good idea

kikling

I think that panning and fading on cool edit pro should be controlled in real time by using the keyboard. Like maybe you use the up arrow to turn up the recording volume while you're recording and the down arrow to do the oppisite. and use the sides for pannig left and right. Does anybody agree with me that this would be easier to do instead of the envelope thing. please reply with your own ideas.

You mean when you're mixing, right? It'd be difficult to sing and play and work the realtime pan and volume controls. Another thing - right now, Cool Edit *doesn't* do much in the way of realtime effects, so unless they've put that ability in the upcoming version, you're out of luck.

Sounds to me what you want is a real mixer.

There was a debate about whether Syntrillium should add a mixer function to their next version of Cool Edit. I was surprised how many people weren't interested. I think it would be cool - Hendrix guitar shifting from one speaker to the other and then back again. Well, if I could just play guitar as well as Hendrix... Okay, almost as cool - dobro guitar shifting from one speaker to the other and back again...

I dont know anything about scripts but:
is it possible to make a script that does what i mentioned above? and a mixer is out of question for me.

Nope. Scripts are fancy macros, not program adjustment "tweakers."

I like having the envelopes. The fades/pans are more natural and certainly repeatable.

Dig it.

You probably really want a mixer now. But as soon as you get one, the next "essential" will take it's place. And without a semi-pro soundcard, it's somewhat useless anyway (have you started playing in a band, by the way?)

I think using the keyboard for moving faders would be really cool. I wish this were possible in Cubase (if it is, let me know). I find a mouse is not accurate enought to do any automated volume or panning changes. Someday Cubase will have envelopes I hope.

>..Does anybody agree with me that this would be easier to do instead of the envelope thing.
What would be intelligent is if CEP gave you the option to move envelope points to specific locations and values (like they do in the pitch shifting and FFT filter graphs). You could never zoom in close enough to be accurate (not that you know where the value you want is..) and if you could, how would you duplicate such a fade later in the song? You have to zoom way out and eyeball the levels. This is a BIG goof on their part to not include such an obvious feature. Another good one left out: ability to spline envelopes in certain areas..

Back