Why doesn't my CEP work?

Doink

I recently reformatted (2K). I installed my CEP 2.0, and used it a few times. Now all of sudden, whenever I start it, it says "coolpro2.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created."
My first course of action was to uninstall then reinstall it. No dice. One interesting thing that happens is as I'm reinstalling it, something from Office 2000 pops up and tries to something. ?!?!? Another thing is that I downloaded the Audition demo. I don't remember if it was on this install or a previous (been switching systems lately), but would that have anything to do with this?
Anyone know what's up? I'd rather not reformat again, but I will if I need to.

Sound like you need a new version of cool edit. Thats all I can tell you. Sounds like its either the windows your running, or CE itself

Good Luck
Smoove

Ok, I ended up tearing my system apart for other reasons (installing a Gadget Labs 824), and when I put it all back together, it re installed a few of the hardware profiles and app settings, and low and behold, Cool Edit powered right up! Twice. Then it started doing the same thing again.

I've used this same version of CEP with this same version of 2k before, and it worked fine.
Looks like I will have to reformat though.

I wouldn't recommend having Office on the same machine as recording s/w.... it's a huge resource pig, as well as trying to overshadow too many system functions.....

Virus!

Your going to have to reformat the whole enchilada. And reinstall everything.

A month ago I started having the same problems with different applications. Come to find out that trojan horse virus embedded itself on my boot sector. It systematically took my machine down. I had enough time to backup data only. Semantic found the virus, but it could do anything about it. I sent them their disc back.
One I did a clean reinstall of everything it worked fine.
The clincher was that my problems began when I downloaded
a P2P software for tracking down bootleg video of guitar players like Steve Vai.

I have office on my system but I do a selective start up depending on what Im doing.

SoMm

"Semantic found the virus"

Symantec is how you spell it. Yeah, I got mydoomed a while ago. My anti-virus program (AVG) found it, but couldn't remove it. Now what's that about? Interestingly, I think it was at Symantec that I found the fix. Or was it Norton? Hmmm...

dobro said:
My anti-virus program (AVG) found it, but couldn't remove it. Now what's that about?
I started having HUGE problems with Norton...it wouldn't let me uninstall it when 2004 got here, and it really turned into a pissfest between me and my "protector," lol...so I've been using AVG for the past 3 months. It has caught a couple of things. How do you like it, dobro?

virus safe mode

its more than likely a virus and more than likely its from a trojan horse....kazaa edonkey and all the others are full of them! most are hidden in software I.E. games screensavers even dx effects for cool edit! most of the time if you have a virus that you cant shed normally you can usually shed it in safe mode, i use norton for mine its made by symantic ive used 2002 for about a year and have had 2003 pro for the last six months with no problems, ive seen some virus that wouldnt show up unless the windows was in safe mode! most modern virus' are clever enough that they can reproduce themselves and move around as they want... when you run your machine in safe mode it takes away their resources for doing this, also make sure your virus definitions are up to date... i use kazaa....ive had several virus' (ok a whole hell of a lot!!) but ive never had to reformat to fix em....also when your antivirus finds them DELETE IT dont quarintine it or try to repair it just get it gone!!

scottyd, thanks for the idea about running av stuff in safe mode - that's interesting.

"its made by symantic"

It's spelled 'symantec' LOL.

Question time: how come kazaa stuff is so virused? Who viruses the stuff? Naughty boys, or the software makers?

Chris - I like AVG just fine, except for its inability to remove Mydoom after it found it. Sheesh. But if that happens again, I'll try that safe mode approach with AVG that scottyd mentioned.

Back