Who Rules?

alphadelta80

I have a good friend who just recently sold me his old computer with the following prorams installed: Cool Edit Pro 2.0, Nuendo 1.61, Cakewalk Pro_Audio 9 and Cakewalk home studio, Cubase SX, Wavelab, and Logic Platinum. I notice that Nuendo, Cubase and Wavelab are all made by the same company (Steinberg). I would like to know which program is the best for recording and editing. Not just the Steinberg products but all the other abovementioned programs as well. I record with the Yamaha AW4416 (because I'm So comfortable with it) and then I import the WAV.s into one of these programs to edit the waveform graphically and add some cool effects from various plug-ins. I'm new to this computer-based recording/mixing/editing thing. I use these programs at random to do my editing. I want to find out which is the most powerful program so I can stick to that one and focus on that one so I don't have to juggle my time around trying to leard 10 different programs at the same time. I would love it if there was some way I could focus on one program and use the knowledge of one program to help me understand the functions of the others. Are any one of these software progs close-to-industry-standards? Are any of them a-hell-of-a-lot more Pro-level than the others? I just want to know where to direct my time and energy. Please help.

if you go to the "computer recordig" forum, there is a poll as to which software people use. I think Cool Edit Pro is the most used, followed pretty close by cakewalk products. Cubase seems pretty popular but it seems like there is a lot of complaints about it crashing and stuff. I don't know though as i have barely ever used cubase. Why has your friend put all of those programs on his computer? why would he go through the troulbe of installing all of the sound editing programs when you only need one? that would just take a long time learning how to use them all.

I think alll and all,t hey will all give you a good sound it you know hoe to use them well. Just pick one and learn how to use it good.

Why don't you buy your own recording software?

The first time that you have a major issue, and need to re-install ANY of the programs on your secondhand machine, you will be shit out of luck won't you?

ya like i said i can't say from experience as i have never really used it in depth. it seems like all programs have flaws of some kind, and more often than not it's something to do with hardware. Well at least that's usually the problem for me.

May have to disagree

I've tried using all of the programs I listed and they all seem to work fine for me EXEPT cubase SX. It shuts down and restarts my computer in the middle of recording. I don't have that problem with any other proram. It happened with cubase sx about 5 of the 8 times I've used it.

May have to disagree

I've tried using all of the programs I listed and they all seem to work fine for me EXEPT cubase SX. It shuts down and restarts my computer in the middle of recording. I don't have that problem with any other proram. It happened with cubase sx about 5 of the 8 times I've used it.

How can you disagree?

Doesn't Cubase SX need a dongle to run?

If you are running a crack, and it doesn't work right, then it's not a real software problem at all, is it?

How old is the computer's operating system's installation?

How cluttered up is the HD?

I was just going to say that.... sounds like you've got an awful lot of cracked s/w there...

Obviously the issues you experience have NOTHING to do with the quality of the s/w itself.

Buy a legal copy and you won't have an issue.

well theres software piracy, why don't you just erase it all and download demos, and actually read the help files to see how to use the program. Then from that make your decision on what you want. Then buy it. We already have evidence you have illegal software on your computer, and we have your IP. its up to you, bro. ;)

RonC

Who me?

How can I tell if my software is "illegal" or not. Better yet, How can YOU tell? Not trying to be a smart-ass. I don't know jack about this stuff. My friend sold me a computer and said He'd throw in all the programs he uses. I just plugged in the PC and it was all there. Is it illegal to share this software. He says he's going to Mac so i doubt he's still using it. And whats a dongle?

"How can I tell if my software is "illegal" or not. Better yet, How can YOU tell?"

Easy. If the manufacturer is selling the stuff online, and if you didn't pay the manufacturer, then it's illegal. Maybe the guy you bought the computer from paid for it, I dunno, but if you're running the stuff and didn't pay for it, it's an illegal copy.

"Is it illegal to share this software."

Yup. Happens all the time though. Major touchy subject on the web too. ;)

"What's a dongle?"

A dongle's a pain in the ass. It's a little doohickey you plug into one of your computer's ports - it acts like a key which 'unlocks' software that's loaded onto the computer. It's to prevent piracy of software.

Back