What do I do to hear myself(in the headphones) as I record?

MC_BAF

Im using cool edit pro, and Id like to here myself(in the headphones) as I record, can anyone help me?

This is a basic routing issue. You must have a device (not the sound card) that routes the playback signal to a headphone output along with the new signal you are recording with it. CEP/AA by itself offers no monitoring capabilities; it depends on external hardware for listening to playback while you are recording. Something like the Mackie Spike or one of several M-Audio devices have audio inputs (for plugging your mic/instrument into) as well as headphone/monitor outputs (for listening).

lpdeluxe said:
This is a basic routing issue. You must have a device (not the sound card) that routes the playback signal to a headphone output along with the new signal you are recording with it. CEP/AA by itself offers no monitoring capabilities; it depends on external hardware for listening to playback while you are recording. Something like the Mackie Spike or one of several M-Audio devices have audio inputs (for plugging your mic/instrument into) as well as headphone/monitor outputs (for listening).

Im using a UA-25 from edirol, can I do it with that?

MC_BAF said:
Im using a UA-25 from edirol, can I do it with that?

Yes. You will have to select the UA-25 from the Device Order Menu as the default device for sound playback. Click on Options -> Device Order -> Playback Devices. Select UA-25 as the primary device.

If you have your headphones connected to the output jack of the UA-25, you should hear it as you play.

valek said:
Yes. You will have to select the UA-25 from the Device Order Menu as the default device for sound playback. Click on Options -> Device Order -> Playback Devices. Select UA-25 as the primary device.

If you have your headphones connected to the output jack of the UA-25, you should hear it as you play.

I did that, but as I record I dont hear my voice, only the beat... I want to be able to hear my voice in the earphones as I speak... is it possible?

MC_BAF said:
I did that, but as I record I dont hear my voice, only the beat... I want to be able to hear my voice in the earphones as I speak... is it possible?

It should be possible. Make sure the Monitor Switch on the UA-25 is on. It should have a separate volume control next to it, and the red light should be lit.

If you have that part down already, it could be the input is too quiet to be heard. You may have to adjust the volumes for the input or monitor control, and possibly the volume within the program or on the unit. Example being -> set the input for your voice higher (without clipping of course), and/or set the monitor volume higher while turning down the master output on the UA-25.

valek said:
It should be possible. Make sure the Monitor Switch on the UA-25 is on. It should have a separate volume control next to it, and the red light should be lit.

If you have that part down already, it could be the input is too quiet to be heard. You may have to adjust the volumes for the input or monitor control, and possibly the volume within the program or on the unit. Example being -> set the input for your voice higher (without clipping of course), and/or set the monitor volume higher while turning down the master output on the UA-25.

The underlined part wasnt done, I just did and will try it shortly, thx alot

Back