watery sound after noise reduction in Cool Edit 2000

radiogold

Watery sound after Noise Reduction.

I have just recorded an average condition record on sound forge as I like using this program over cool edit.

I’m now in cool edit with the newly recorded vinyl track. I first select the silent gap before or after the song. With this I go into Noise Reduction, then Noise Reduction again on the bottom of that menu. I then click on “get profile from selection”. New profile appears. I close the Noise Reduction dialog box and then select the entire track. I go to the Noise Reduction tool again and then press OK. Everything works fine.

After processing, the noise levels sound much better. Only now with softer parts of a track, they sound rather watery.

I often use the click pop eliminator before doing a noise reduction. Both scenarios end up with the same result.

Has anyone got any ideas on ridding this watery sound? I find this a shame as the overall results are fantastic to listen to. I’ve managed to bring back some badly scratched LPs into near new listening experiences.

Mark
Leura, Australia
radiogold@mail.com
:)

That means you overdid it. You can only apply a very slight amount of the processing before the artifacts are very noticeable.

Try this it may work for you and not mess the sound up as bad first when you record a vinyl track get a spot between the tracks like you did make sure no clicks pops or sound other then the hiss, needle drag. Highlight it then do hiss reduction first get a sample from selection then click on the add button and save it then reduce the hiss in that part. Then do the same with the noise. Try it on the track hiss first then noise do 20 or 30 seconds of the track as a test and to save some time This should be less noticeable. Also try this record a few seconds of line noise set up everything like you were going to record line levels and equipment on. If your system is fairly quiet this is what you will probably want to use as a noise profile and is probably more in line with getting rid of the noise. What you did if you selected a sample is included all the needle drag hiss and turntable noise which will make it sound like it's under water Like TexRoadkill said it was over done. As far as the click and pop eliminator there is a 3rd party plugin called clickfix and seems to be a much better plugin for click's and pops but the one in cool edit is still needed for filling in of single clicks. Here is the site to check it out I think that they have a demo it works for 30secs of a selection. http://www.jdklein.com/clickfix/

Back