VST and Groove Agent???

Scooter D

Can someone help me understand something? I just saw an ad for the Steinberg Groove Agent and downloaded the demo version to try it out. It says that it is a VST plugin and to check your host application to see if you can use this with it. I am using CE and was wondering if the Groove Agent will work with (or through) CE. Also, what does VST stand for? The demos for the Groove Agent sound real good and I am not one for programming drum machines so this thing seems like it would be a great choice...except I have no idea how it is supposed to work and Steinberg's "read me" file is no help at all. I really don't like when companies "assume" that the whole world knows all the tech stuff that they know.

Oh well, if anyone has any input on this I would really appreciate it...

Thank you!

There are a couple of plugin formats you need to know about, cuz they're so common: one's DX (or DXi) and one's VST. Cool Edit uses DXi - no questions asked - but if you want to use a VST plugin with Cool, you have to first get your hands on another piece of software that'll 'translate' the VST plugin into a form Cool Edit can deal with. That piece of software is called a wrapper, and it's a free download in some places on the net. Do a search: VST wrapper.

Groove Agent is a VST instrument- even with a DX-VST wrapper, it wont work in cooledit. CEP can only use VST 1.0 effects with a wrapper- VST instruments or synths are VST 2.0 plugins- and you need a proper sequencer to use them- check out FL Studio (free demo) or Cubase SX

Good Luck

Back