Vocals recording - Rerecording faulty parts

kyda75

Hi,

Using Audition, What is the best way of rerecording bad vocal parts?

Should I rerecord to the new track? If so how to fill gaps with silence? ie. rerecord from the 3minute mark, how do I fill the gaps from 0 to 3min etc? Or how to i then merge this back to the main track?

Or should I record over the same track and merge?

Thanks for any help.

Best bet is to re-record bad vocals. You can fix them if budget is a concern. Of course that depends on the tools you have.

I am not a user of Audition so I can't give details.

Sure you will figure out the best approach man. Learning DAW software takes a bunch of time...

Cheers!

I am recording the vocals myself as such money is not an issue :) Out singers could never get it right in one go.

I am new with all this, what I am doing now is to rerecord the bad parts over the first vocal track then merge down, sometimes it works sometimes it does not work well,
ended up with duplicate vocals, sometimes I cant even merge the two tracks, Audition does not like it, it has yellow crosses over the tracks etc
Not sure what I did wrong.

It would be good to hear from others, how they would re-record some of the vocal parts, even just some general methods/instructions.

I am recording the vocals myself as such money is not an issue :) Out singers could never get it right in one go.

I am new with all this, what I am doing now is to rerecord the bad parts over the first vocal track then merge down, sometimes it works sometimes it does not work well,
ended up with duplicate vocals, sometimes I cant even merge the two tracks, Audition does not like it, it has yellow crosses over the tracks etc
Not sure what I did wrong.

It would be good to hear from others, how they would re-record some of the vocal parts, even just some general methods/instructions.
have any screenshots to clarify how you are working? I need to see what features you are enabling and disabling to help you in a effective and concise manner.

As Tommy Tedesco used to write in his monthly GP Magazine column, "fix it before the mix".

Not sure how Audition's interface is, but I would record more tracks and use the best of them. Good luck!

it sounds to me like your arming two tracks for recording at once sometimes when you get the same track twice.

To edit your takes in the multitrack window, you can use the green lines on top of every track, they are the volume controls. The white dots that appear when your click on the green lines can be moved as you hold down your left click. You can mute specific segments on your track that way. You can mute abruptly by having a downward 90 degree slope, you can fade in or out as well..pretty much the shape of your green line and dots will determine how your volume of the track /shape of your waveform will turn out.

to merge down, you right click on the empty track under the one you want to merge down and you select mixdown to track.

as for your track changing color, you probably selected the change color option when your right clicked on a track an selected yellow.

Also you can solo a specific take, mute others etc.

Get familiar with audition/cool edit pro. You can do a lot with that software.

good luck

Back