Vocal FX technique recording

newbieatthis

Hi,
I am equiped with a NT1000 mic and a US 122, I'm a Newb at all this recording stuff. Got a question, is there a volumn feature in CoolEdit where u can turned up the volumn of the vocals so that I can hear it louder during the recording? Also anyone know a good tutorial that teaches how to edit vocals with the FX features. Everything I record its only recording into the right side of the tracker how do I set it so that both left and right are recording?

During the recording, you must get the volume at the level you desire before it gets into Cool Edit. From there, you can adjust after recording.

Hmmm........I tried turning up the volumn by it didn't help.......where exactly is the volumn switch for the vocal that goes into the headphones? maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Using an XLR cable, run your mic into the XLR input of the US-122. Make sure the switch is set to the Mic/Line side and the Phantom power is ON. Turn up the preamp gain to your desired level (try around 12 o'clock). If you're using monitor speakers, turn up the Direct Monitoring knob, if headphones, turn up the Phones knob.

I'm using headphones during the recording and I do turn up the headphone knob to high but that just turns the volumn of the music during the recording loud. I want to know how to turn up my vocal volumn so that during the recording I can hear my vocal. Know what I mean bro?? :) My vocal sound is there during the recording but at a extremely low low volumn which the music volumn covers. I understand what you told me earlier about edit the volumn levels after recording and that works. I can adjust the volumn after the recording to the perfect point but its just during the recording i don't know how to turn that up.

So I'm assuming you mean that the guitars, drums, etc. are too loud while recording? If so, turn their playback down. But first, make sure you have done what I suggested (Phantom power on, preamp up up up).

Yep the Guitar Bass etc is not too loud because I can control the volumn with the by turning the headphone knob higher its just the vocal switch comes in live during the recording I don't know where the volumn switch for that is? What are playbacks and where's that at? Also another concern is that when I record.....I put the vocal recording on a different tracks and it only records the right side only. How do I make it so that both right and left sides are recorded cuz I am manually going into the editwave and doing a copy and paste from right to left everytime after recording.

Thx for the help Aaron I played around with it a bit and manage to figure out the solution for the vocal volumn during the record. Now that's out off the way I got a question about editing....is there a treble knob or something in cooledit?? I want to turn up the treble and lower the bass sound in my vocals. I have a feeling it won't be that straight forward with Cool Edit..probably alot of components that make the treble or something...let me know if u know about it. :)

I'm using Adobe Audition now, which is the newer version of CoolEdit, so I'm not 100% sure on what's the same and different. In Audition, if you desire, there is a H, M, and L for each track to adjust the high, mid, and low frequencies, respectively. Personally, I would highly recommend not using them unless you are making something super quick and it doesn't matter. Instead, use a plugin EQ, preferably a paragraphic EQ (google for some nice free ones or search on here for links).

Back