Thread: Usage for CEP

Thanks

Talking

Sign in to disable this ad
    I use CEP for lots of things.
    Mostly I use it for Post-Production nowadays.
    I track on my partner's Tascam DA-88 and then dump tracks into my computer to edit them. Although, if I need more than 8 tracks I finish tracking in the computer. I know the DA-88 is supposed to have great editing capabilities, but I have not been able to master them.
    I started out using CEP just to record a friend's drumset and and my guitar through a cheap computer microphone. We did that for about a week before we decided the program could do way more for us.
    I have also used CEP to write jingles for the radio, commercials etc...
    Oh, yeah, I did a couple of interviews and edited them with it too.
    I am currently working on a project that has 28 tracks and trying mix it. It has been very difficult, not to mention the song is 9 minutes long.

Anyway, what else do ya'll use CEP for?

MIKE

Thanks

Lightbulb

At this point, I'm using it just to record, experimenting with mic placement and mic technique, looking for sounds I like. I know that editing will change the sound, but I reckon performance and recorded sound are way more important than editing. Editing can make a good track better, but it can't make a poor track good.

Last weekend, I moved all my gear, computer and all, to a different part of the room, because I thought I would get a better sound there. It took hours. As an experiment, it worked great - the sound was way different with the different setup. As a new sound, it was a flop - far less tasty than the previous location, so the following day I moved everything back where it was. Walls and reflective surfaces really make a big difference to the sound. I've been thinking of putting together some kind of large, mobile panels - I've got the idea this might change the sound in interesting ways that CEP can't begin to imitate with its effects.

Thanks

Wink

Hello, am I the only one who frequents this place?

Anyway, Dobro I was wondering what kind of board and soundcard you have. I have a Guillemot Maxistudio ISIS and I am wanting to get a new board soon. Are there any you can think of that would really work better with CEP than others? I can't see why one would and one wouldn't, but I thought maybe there is something I don't know about.

MIKE

Thanks

Lightbulb

The mixer's an Alesis Studio 12R, with at least 8 inputs, and the soundcard's a Wave 8/24 with 8 channels. I got this combination so I can play with others at one take - I figure 8 channels can cover drums, bass and me and my guitar nicely, with one more channel for a visitor. This is all just smoke right now, though, since two channels at once is the most I'm recording right now with CEP. I see no reason why CEP wouldn't record well with 8 channels, but I think it would be a pain come mixing down time, because of its lack of real-time processing - it'd take forever. So, like you, I see no reason why CEP wouldn't work with any board.

I think what's holding Version 1.2 back is the fact it doesn't process in real time. I mean, isn't that one of the reasons your 28-track opus is difficult to work with? My guess is Version 2 will either have real time processing, or lose out big time to other software.

Thanks

Thumbs down

Just for the record, CEP records 8 tracks at a time through the WAVE 8*24 without a hitch. Now That I have the ART I am bypassing the 12R for everything except toms and cymbals (and I NEED another ART for the cymbals).
    The background mixing is a bitch... but you can get high track counts on a slow computer which you cant with a normal setup... Theres just lots of waiting around involved...

Thread Information