Track 2 is "shorter" than Track 1?

mbernardo

I have recorded several songs with Cool Edit Pro but I have never encountered this problem before:

I have a drum track recorded on Track 1. When I record the rhythm guitar on Track 2 and play it back afterwards, track to seems "shorter" than Track 1. For the first 2 bars, it is on time. Then it starts to fall behind slowly. By the time it reaches the chorus, it is totally behind the drum track and out of sync. When I recorded it, I was definitely on time with the drum track!

Has this happened to anyone? Help!

I'd had this happen in Samplitude a few times, but I just grabbed the right bottom corner of the object, and dragged it back to the correct bar count. Easy fix in Samp, but I don't know if you can do that in CEP.

listen back to track 2...is it still in the right key? if it is playing faster, then my guess is that it is probably a little sharp. This might indicate a sample rate issue...

Thank you for your response. I will look into a possible sample rate issue. Any ideas where I can begin? I am using an M-Audio Firewire Solo audio interface with Cool Edit Pro 2.0.

I figured it out! Somehow it must have been a sampling rate problem. Here's what I did:

1. I created a BLANK session in Cool Edit Pro.
2. Imported the drum track WAV file from the old session to Track 1.

When I recorded Track 2 (guitar), I noticed that the drum track was playing slightly slower. I guess that is the real tempo this time because when I played it back together, they were in synch throughout. My guess is, that in the old session, while in Record mode, the monitor was playing slightly faster. Now it's working fine.

Back