Total Newbie Luddite Question.

sixchannel

Hi Everyone
I have come back to guitar playing after many years away. I have a PC which was supplied with Cool Edit Pro installed. I have a guitar (well several actually) running through an effects box into a Peavey Studio Pro 110.
What I want to do is to record some of my efforts. I have backing tracks on CD, and I want to put them into CEP - HOW??!! - and then, I want to record my guitar as well so the final result is me+backing track.
Dont baffle me with scientific jargon-please. I know nothing about how to even start. The screens mean nothing to me and I wouldn't even know how to get the sound from my Amp, which does NOT have a 'Line Out' feature - it has a headphone socket - any good? - into whatever hole in the back it is supposed to go into.
Yes - boys and girls - I am THAT THICK!!!!
I beieve in the KISS principle - Keep It Simple - Im Stupid!
HELP!
Sixchannel
p.s. - if its any help I'm in Wolverhampton UK

Your backing tracks that are on CD, is the CD a regular CD that would play back in any normal CD player or are they .wav files?
Do you have a microphone and mic preamp?
Is your soundcard full duplex (I realize this a technical question but there ain't no way around it)?

Greeting from the UK
Jeez that was a quick response, Track Rat!
The CD's are regular CD's just like you play in your Hi Fi.
I could load them into the PC as MP3's using Nero if I have to - any benefit?
Got no mic and no pre-amp. I do realise I shall need them but I dont know what BUDGET brand to buy (maybe via eBay?)
Dunno about the sound card. Thats one for the guy who put the PC together. I'll get back on that but it may take a day or two.

OK. On the CD backing tracks, you'll need some ripping software to "rip" the CD tracks into .wavs. I wouldn't use them as MP3s as the quality suffers like that. Once they're ripped and sitting on the computer, you can load them into CEP (file>open>[direct it to where ever you put your .wavs]).
I'd pick up something like a Shure SM-57 and a DMP3 preamp http://www.midiman.net/products/m-audio/dmp3.php
or the like. You could get into something like that for $200-$300 US or so.

Thanks Track Rat
Will be back to you as soon as the PC Man repleis to my question on the soundcard.
I can get freeware to 'rip' CD's (apparently!)
Cheers

To Track Rat & Trigger
Thanks for all your help.
It looks like it is a standard sound card and so I shall have to buy Soundblaster 5.1 before I do anything else - c£70 in UK.
I'll get back to this Forum once I have that + SM57 + DMP3.
Goodness - the cost is mounting up. I hope its worth it in the end!!!

DON'T buy a soundblaster for recording music!

there are plenty of much better options out there. Use the search for soundcards in the forum. Something like THIS CARD would be a good entry level card for recording.

Alec

Thanks Lemon Tree.
That's the Baby!!
Just think,I only started this thread to set up the PC so I could hear if I sounded as good as I think I do (Big'Ed!) - It's becoming a Mission now.
I am collating costs and will ad this to my list. Thank goodness its CHristmas!!!!

Back