stems and mix resolution

sqkychair

Sorry if you guys are tired of hearing about this all over the web, but there is some controversy about the fact that reducing the fader on a track reduces the resolution of that track.

Some say this is not a problem when mixing on 32-bit which I understand that CEP uses 32 bit internally. I still use 1.2a by the way with a possible upgrade to Audition when I upgrade my PC.

My question is, do you turn down all individual faders or the master fader when the mix is too hot?

Also, what about mixing in stems? I understand loosely that this means making a submix on a group of instruments, for instance drums, and then mixing those submixes. I think you can keep the track levels hotter that way, but don't you still lose something when you finally do the mix of the individual stems?

I am confused big time.

Right now I don't mix in stems, I am typically pulling the master fader down around -4 for around 20 or so tracks. Some tracks are hotter than others, but I typically find that MOST tracks can stay right around 0 maybe +- 2 because I recorded it at approximately the level I want it in the mix. Of course there are exceptions like effects tracks which are mixed lower.

I would you to try various things to see whether or not you can hear a difference?

Do a search on "fader math" if you want to get thru alot of information that has already been posted.

Mixing in stems is good if you have a outboard submixer but you won't gain any sonic difference if you try to stem inside the box. It might help in grouping plugins for drums, and BG vox.

Always reduce the indivdual faders to keep from overloading the 2 bus.

SoMm

Son of Mixerman said:
Mixing in stems is good if you have a outboard submixer but you won't gain any sonic difference if you try to stem inside the box. It might help in grouping plugins for drums, and BG vox.

Always reduce the indivdual faders to keep from overloading the 2 bus.

SoMm

You contradict yourself there. Even mixing in the box when you create the stems with a mix buss that isn't being overworked and you have less tracks competing for room during the final mix. If the goal is to reduce the amount of tracks being summed at once then mixing in stems would be the best way to do it even without an external sum buss..

If it's worth the trouble or not is up to you. Try some experiments.

I remember discussing this some time ago, and the general consensus then was that level changes, either on individual tracks or using the master volume control, didn't affect the sound quality in software mixing.

Which is what I wanted to hear because that master level control is just *so* useful. If I have to go through every 20-track mix at the end and reduce each track's volume by the same amount, that just adds to the donkey work I'm already doing using this technology.

I'm willing to hear the truth though. LOL

Back