Shutting off Compression in Cool Edit Pro

radiophoto

I do a lot of voice-overs for a local radio station, and usually I just go over there after work and read a bunch of copy at once, and it's no problem. But once I started setting up my home studio, I offered to read some copy from home and send them the files, and they're open to that but I'm having some processing issues, namely:

They use Adobe Audition, and I am using Cool Edit Pro. Theirs has features mine doesn't have, like buttons to turn off compression and dynamic processing BEFORE recording.

But because I learned CEP "on the job", so to speak, there is much I don't know. For example, there may be a way to turn it off in advance, but I'm not finding anything that looks right.

Anybody familiar with this? My voice tracks are getting rejected because they are detecting compression, and I don't know how to fix it. Thanks!

Pete

I think you've been misinformed. The only way to ADD compression in CEP is to do a destructive effects process after you've made your recording. CEP can't do any real time effects and certainly can't add any effects...including compression...while recording.

You don't mention what sound card you're using but it might be worth checking that. Some--even cheap and nasties like Soundblaster--have built in effects including compression which are on by default.

Otherwise, the person hearing compression has a tin ear.

Back