Show and Tell

rats

Are there any of you out there using Cool Edit Pro with SB Live? This is what I 'm using, and basically nothing else. I'm noodling with my first attempts on this system...

Most of my recording will initially be done either running direct (using a Tascam Porta07 as a mixer) or miking via an SM57 or a Peavey PVMsomethingorother.

If there is anyone out there using a combo of SBLive (or a comparable soundcard) with Cool Edit Pro, I'd be interested to hear what kind of success you've had, and what I can expect to get out of this stuff.

Please post your MP3 samples, links, whatever. Only the best recordings you've got...

Come on I know some of you use SB live!

I'm not interested in the style or content, I just want to hear the quality of recording I can shoot for....

Lets hear what you've got man!

I use the same thing man.. A DirectPro 24/96, an SB Live Value, and an Midiman DMAN card. I have had great success with all of them.

The 24/96 gives me the best sound of course, but the SB has a good noise floor for most things... about 70db... So it gives me good clean sound. It is only two input but that is fine for general tracking. It has a better use for me however in the soundfont arena.

What else do you need to know.

I'm looking for audioooooo man, got to hear the results. This seems liek a good combo to me, but it's going to have limits in teh sound quality. If not, everyone would record on Cool edit and an SBLIve and we would have no use for recording studios and all those expensive racks and mikes and fun shit. I'm looking to HEAR how far this package is capable of taking me. I personally dig some of the Low-Fi recordings out there these days like the Olivia Tremor Control, Neutral Milk Hoteland others. I don't believe that Low-Fi means sucky. It can mean sucky, but not neccesarily.

So how bout it, does anyone have a CoolEdit/SB Live recording they're proud of?

I'm looking to produce recordings at home to release.

OK, Where do you want me to show you these recordings that I have done. I don't have an mp3 page or anything. I could post them on my Collaboration Central site in a thread just for you if you like.

Let me know.

Hey, fellow CEP/Sblive comrade! You wanna hear what CEP and SBLive will take you?
head over to my site at www.mp3.com/willchoi/
I have a pretty small studio with limited gear. I do most of my processing with dxplugins and cool edit and I master sometimes in combo with Soundforge/T-racks/and DX plugs.
I do a hell lot of complex mixxing with CEP so if you wanna hear how far it will take you visit my site and take a listen. You'll be very pleased with CEP's mixing capabilities.

Just make sure you got some good mics/room/cable/mixer going into the card first. If you do then you're set for life man!

wow choi: that was some cool music, was it all you or do you have a band? I listened to lovers hill, and it even sounded good on lo-fi! My puter at home is on dial up and cant handle those streaming audio things, why don't you allow a download? I'm looking forward to going to hear more tomorrow at work.

Sultan: do it man I want to hear. I like the looks of that web site. I'll have to go back and check out more. I've got 2 kids screaming on me.....a896979auy98a0a8770%&^$(&$%($&$&!!!..........

thanks peep

Thanks for the vibe rat! I'm laying off the download thing for some just to keep the peeps visiting.
As it is, my work is pretty much all me. Drums are a total bitch cuz it's all programing on Fruityloops. I suggest if you don't have a drummer or don't want to shell out cash for a kit and mics and a room for it then definitely check out Fruitloops. It's a sample/synthesiser based drummachine. www.fruityloops.com
it's the best. I spent a hell of time collecting samples. Im always looking for more drum and ambient stuff. I do all my drums on Friuty loops then export as a stereo wav. Then I just plunk it into CEP where i want it and just layer my instruments on there. Stand alone VST instruments are great too.
Since CEP isn't using MIDI applications it frees up that device. So you can run a midi program such as a VST standalone instrument like Pro52 from native instruments or B4 and play it live while recording in CEP. works great. Im just not a great keyboardist.
Anyways, I hope people will respond to your post and post links. I'd like to hear some other people's CEP work.

OK Rats, but it will have to wait. I am packing to move as I type and I will be out of touch for about two weeks I gues. Maybe sooner if I am lucky.

Take care.

Choi:
Listened to Lover's Hill again on a better PC in headphones on Hi-Fi option. Reaaly nice song. I'm guessing that you didn't have this mastered? It has a "submixy" sound to it. It sounds great, and I'd be really happy to be able to get this level of quality. What kinds of mikes do you use if you don't mind me asking?

The Breaking of Mel Sound: Another cool song! It reminds me of a more modern version of old Bowie and Queen. A lot different than Lover's Hill.

Emerald I :

Wow this stuff is really impressive. This one reminds me a bit of Queensryche! Have you posted in the MP3 mixing forum? I'll bet a lot of people would enjoy this!

Ciircalsprint:

Another cooly. I like the vocal harmonies: are you using soem sort of vocoder, or is that all multitracking vocals? Sounds cool whatever you're using.

Harmony Follows Unity: Wow your songs are very complex in the timing sig. changes and rolling melodies! Very interesting. What are your influences?

BTW, yes I am shamelessly in the pursuit of my new snazzy avatar. There could be worse ways to get it, these songs are great! Y'all should listen!

1984 (Ode to Eric Blair) :

What can I say, it's great. Are you by any chance a Mr. Bungle fan? I know there's a lot of Mr. Bungle fans lurking around this website. Keep up the good work.

Really Bad monsters:

What kind of distortion are you using on that first opening guitar? It's nasty and I love it. Man the guitar in the break in teh middle sound weird. Are those your own guitar effects sepeerate from cool edit? Do you generally record your effected guitar or add effects in the mix?

BTW, is there a way to add external effects (not plug-ins) after you've recorded?

Back