Should I get Cool Edit?

Christian

I'm very new to recording and have and ANALOGUE 4track (Yamaha MT4X).

But the idea of plugging my 4-track into my computer and recording my own stuff as MP3s appeals to me, especially as I have friends with CD burners.

Firstly how would I convert a big .wav file into an MP3? Is there something I can download?

Secondly, my friend told me that you could fix up noises and unwanted distortion on MP3s using Cool Edit. I found the main website and it said you can either get Cool Edit Pro or Cool Edit 2000. Would it be worth me getting (initially downloading) either of these? Which one?

Thanks for being patient with my ignorance
:-)

Well, I will try to answer most of your questions. I assume you have a soundblaster or similar type soundcard. You can plug in your four track into the soundcard and get two inputs at once. If you have four tracks recorded, then you will have to dump two, then dump two more then sync them up, it really isn't hard to do though. I would recomend Cool Edit as an easy transition from the analog to digital world. As for getting programs the convert wavs to mp3s, they are everywhere. My favorite is call CDex. I got it at audiogalaxy.com I would recomend going with Cool Edit Pro because 2000 is just stripped down from what I understand.

Hope I could help some,
MIKE

Back