sample rate conversion problems

camn

For some reason.. I cant convert some 16bit 48000 files to 16/44100 without any pitch shifting going on. Ive tried "open AS" as well as "convert sample type". Everything is screwy... Help!!

xoxoxo

For what you're wanting to do, you should use Convert Sample Type, which doesn't shift pitch (or the time length of the file).

If you tried Adjust Sample Rate, you'd get pitch shifting.

Maybe start again from the beginning and use Convert Sample Type. If that doesn't work, then maybe an uninstallation/reinstallation of CEP?

you know whats happening is this..
When I convert the sample type correctly (that is so it plays right when I burn a disc) It plays sped up on my computer. The seconds count by a little faster than seconds are... and the pitch is a little high. BUT when I press those tracks to disc, they sound fine. Whats the deal?

xoox

Hmm... curiouser and curiouser... Okay, two questions:

1 How do you know it speeds up after you've converted sample type?

2 If it sounds okay after it's on the disk,what difference does it make?

[This message has been edited by dobro (edited 04-30-2000).]

ok.. It SOUND's sped up... like im on helium, but it's not sped up on disk. AND I want to be able to listen to the track spacing and such.. and intro tracs and crossfades before I press to disc.. and sped up isn't cutting it.

xoxox

are you stumped? Cause if you are.. Im gonna wipe my boot drive and do a fresh install of windows 2000 and CEP.

xoxoxo

I've just got the idea.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by camn:
It plays sped up on my computer. The seconds count by a little faster than seconds are... and the pitch is a little high. BUT when I press those tracks to disc, they sound fine. Whats the deal?

xoox
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does it play sped up in that same session when you've just resampled it? If you save the file, close CEP, then open back again, does it play OK?

If yes, your propblem is solved.

If not, this probably means that CEP saves the bits correctly but writes something wrong in the WAV file header. E.g. it may not update the sample rate value. And your CD burner probably ignores that field and assumes it's always 44.1K, and that's why your resulting CD sounds fine. (These are just guesses, of course).

If this is the case, you might try to save the resampled wave as a "raw WAV". It doesn't have any sample rate info written into it. Then you reopen it in CEP - it will ask you what sample rate to assign to it - select 44100 and save it now as normal WAV ("Windows PCM WAV").

The next time you open it it should sound right.

so it does it in that and every session. AND it does it whether I do the conversion in CEP oR in Soundforge. And I ried that last bit, to no avail. Good Idea, though.

still stumped...
xxoxoox
cameron

Ha HA HA HA!! I FIGURED IT OUT!!!!

SO, I had a flash of inspiration when my buddy brought some tracks over to be "mastered" (Yeah, Yeah, I told him I couldnt do it, but he wanted me too anyway..)

Anyway, he had these sad tracks all in 44.1 16bit, and I ripped them onto my hd, and lo and behold, that chick from rusted root sounded like she was 11!!
At that moment it flashed into my brain... my master clock was set at 48000! and CEP is NOT my clock master, so everything in 44.1 wa still playing 48, game set, match.

xoxoxoxoxim SO happy i figured that outxoxoxo
camn

Back