Reverb in Cool Edit

Joan

In Cool Edit, how do I add a touch of reverb or a richer 'in your face' sound without having it sound like I'm in a parking garage?
Simple instructions please. Thank you.

Eh, Joan,

First of all, Reverb will NOT get you the IN YOUR FACE sound.. the opposite.. less reverb is closer (read in your face)

You have to get that right amount of reverb to get the vocals get into the mix completely, getting it transparant with the existing sounds. If you want it quick and simple:

- Get a medium hall or room reverb (whatever you like, I prefer hall) with about 1.2 seconds of release.
- Mix this in until you get the feeling of 'YEAH this rocks!'

remember less is more, you don't really want to HEAR the reverb, just try 'bypass' to hear the difference, and you'll know what I'm talking about.

good luck with it.

ps. you could use the TC-native or Ultrafunk plugin Reverd, they come with e.z. and great presets which is perfect for you. Or you could study the Reverb a little and setup great thinx for yourself

roman said:
Eh, Joan,

remember less is more, you don't really want to HEAR the reverb, just try 'bypass' to hear the difference, and you'll know what I'm talking about.

I agree 100%....

subtle verb and panning are the way to go...

Joan, are you using CE 2.0? If so, maybe the first things to look at are room size (in the Early Reflections Tab), and then the amount of Original Signal and the amount of Reverb. Those three things will get you started okay.

Room size determines how big a space you're working with (duh).

The amount of Original Signal you choose will determine how near or far it sounds from the sound source. 90-100% will make it sound like you're close to the musical source, and 70-80% will sound like it's further from the source, etc.

The Reverb setting determines how much bigness and echo you want to put into the sound. Try about 20% for a start and work up or down from there in 5% increments according to taste.

Back