return of the prodigal son

rats

I have returned from my forty days and forty nights in the wilderness. There I was tempted by Cubase. It told me that I could have dominion over the world and I told Cubase to get thee behind me! Why dost thou tempt me so?:mad:

But now I return to Cool Edit Pro as a renewed soul, reborn so to say. I have been annointed by the multitrack view on high.

And now I embark on my next journey: a challenge. I must now record and edit five unfinished songs in various stages for my band's press kit/ EP. I will go forth with Reason, Cool Edit Pro, Sound Forge, and the Waves Native Gold Bundle. :o

My CEP bretheren and sistaren, I implore you this; how dost thou placate the static retort? Or what methods of hiss ixnaying would thou apply to snuff the ugly head?:confused:

Re-record everything with clean signals. ;) If you can't do that, us eq to roll of the top or just use noise reduction.

Noise Reduction is in the effects tab. You have to be in Edit mode. The mode with only one waveform showing. When your there hit the Effects tab>Noise Reduction>Noise Reduction. You have to have a few seconds of silence to sample from at the beggining of the waveform then you use that sample to remove the noise from the rest of the wave. I hope I didn't waste your time with crap you already knew. Well, good luck anyway.

yes but I find the boise reduction sucky. You know when you select and profile section then execute.... kikked way too mant tracks that way, getting high, yeah yeah a little NR OK greaaaaattt....then 15 undos later you realize how bad you fucked it up and yer like oh shit fuck it I'll just do it all over....

Haven't gotten into Waves x-noise but I hear it's pretty good.:cool:

It's not a few seconds of silence you need, but a few seconds of JUST the noise. First, highlight that, then go in to Noise Reduction, and press Get Profile From Selection. Then go back out and highlight the entire wav and do the noise reduction on that. Listen to the preview to decide how much noise to take out. If you take out too much, you'll be left with artifacts that are almost as bad as noise.

Good luck.

Dakota said:
It's not a few seconds of silence you need, but a few seconds of JUST the noise. First, highlight that, then go in to Noise Reduction, and press Get Profile From Selection. Then go back out and highlight the entire wav and do the noise reduction on that. Listen to the preview to decide how much noise to take out. If you take out too much, you'll be left with artifacts that are almost as bad as noise.

Good luck.

Thanks Dako. Yeah I do that. It sucks tho.:(

It works best when there's not much noise you want to remove. It works for me on stuff like guitar hum that I get from playing too close to my monitor - stuff like that. But I tried it a couple of times when I'd recorded stuff in a noisy room - I tried to get rid of the room noise, and the result sucked, yeah. If you take out too much, the overall sound really suffers.

rats said:
My CEP bretheren and sistaren, I implore you this; how dost thou placate the static retort? Or what methods of hiss ixnaying would thou apply to snuff the ugly head?:confused:
Thou art indeed of a confused nature.

I'm probably not saying anything you don't know, Rats, but in case somebody else has an opinion on this, I'll drop off 2 cents.

Hiss Reduction (as opposed to noise redux) seems to work a lot better w/o leaving as many audible artifacts. However, whether it's hiss reduction or some noise profile you've loaded, I try not to ever use anything above -8 on the slider (floor). I think the default for "Light Hiss Reduction" is +5, which is indeed full of suck. Okay, maybe between -8 to -5, but dammit, -5 is the limit, lol. Even though you'll still get some hiss, it's usually a good balance between the hiss and the R2D2 like effects of noise redux. Oh, and don't do the noise/hiss reduction without headphones on, or you'll probably fuck it up.

And mute the intro...yeah.

cat-eggs said:
heh, that was a good one. i hate that guy's wife

...and don't blame you. Probably another subcontractor that tried to pull something over her eyes, to which she responded by ripping the offending tradesman's head off, and proceeded to shit down his neck. ;) :D

Back