Thread: Restoring / Remastering

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    What techniques do you all use for restoring / remastering records in Cool Edit Pro? I haven't been doing this for long and I'm really having a tough time getting hiss out without making the song sound weird.

Thanks
    This probably isn't what you're looking to hear, but maybe it'll be useful. Not too long ago, I ran CEP's noise reduction function on some tracks I had with a lot of tropical night noise on them - high-pitched stuff that came across on recordings like a form of white noise. The result was tracks that suffered from what I described as osteoporosis - noticeable slices of the frequency spectrum had been axed, and the sound was somewhat hollow. In other words, if you're dealing with a load of noise on whatever you're working with, it's really hard to remove it without affecting the overall sound in a negative way. CEP's noise/hiss reduction features seem to work best on stuff that doesn't have much noise to begin with.

Thanks
    Theres no way to do a hiss reduction on an entire track without seriously effecting the presence of the highs in general. Ive had success by doing focused reductions- on particular areas like a quiet part where there are vocals without anything under it and the hiss comes is very apparent.

Thread Information