Removing guitar fret noise

Pedro

Hi,

I am recording acoustic guitar. When the guitarist changes chords, sometimes a tweeking noise occurs. Is there any easy way to remove this?

Pedro

Somebody asked Chet Atkins this question once, and he smiled and rubbed the fingers of his left hand on his nose - a little bit of oil gets rid of the problem, he said. You don't need software or computers for this one.

I've found no real way around this. This is reality. Guitars will squeak.

BUT. It depends on the song and the string your on. From my experience with this problem you have a few possible options. Play it differently, rearrange your fingering. Or use another guitar. I've got around this problem using a Takimine DI'd.

I posted a song awhile ago that has a good example of bad sting noise. I got around it by both of the above methods. There are extremes but there is always a compromise.

[This message has been edited by Emeric (edited 03-05-2000).]

Yup - guitar strings squeak - that's the nature of the thing. I've stopped worrying about it - I like the sound of Tom Waits working the pedals on his piano, and I like the sound of Dylan's jacket buttons rattling against the back of his guitar. I've stopped worrying so much about breath noise on vocals, too.

Apparently magazines like Playboy get cosmeticians to airbrush out their models' moles and such before a shoot. Myself, I prefer the wholewheat approach to eating, the natural noise approach to recording, and the deep appreciation of every little detail approach to a woman.

Back