Recovering a session that has crashed

bburge

Hi

So I've just started to learn how to mix my own vocals; I've spent hours and hours over the last few days mixing a session, but audition keeps lagging and crashing. I'm pretty sure its just becuase my laptop sucks, and it can't handle all the plug-ins (it only began to lag when I used a lot of plug-ins). I found a way around this by turning off the power to the plug-ins for the tracks I wasn't working on (ie: I would only have the plug-ins on for the verse I was working on).

This was all going fine, but on the last track I was working on, audition crashed, and now when I try to reload the session i get the prompt

audition has stopped working

[\Monk\main\common\PremiereShell\Src\PlayerFactory.cpp-379]

and when i hit continue, it freezes on "loading session" (or just crashes).

I cannot find a way to load the session. All the recordings are saved in the folder, and I could just line them all up again on a session, but then my mixes arent saved--there must be a way to recover/load the session!

Please, does anyone one know how I can load this session? I honestly invested so many hours into it, and I'm so so bitter and choked right now.

The chances are that you are screwed but if you want to email me you ses file (contact me via my website - see signature) I will check out your session file and see whats what.

im new here & saw that u might b able to help ive got this msg
[\Monk\main\common\PremiereShell\Src\PlayerFactory.cpp-379]

& i would like to send it to u to c if u can get it to open up again..
please b patient with my ignorance but how do i send it to u.. if u can let me kno i would appreciate it as im sure u kno losing a project full of ur hard work is a pain in the ass!~.. thnx

story of my life bro
there's not much that can be done
only option is to start over from scratch

Ouch, I feel your pain brother, and I agree with everyone else. Usually on a crash the recovery can save your ass, but sometimes the ses file gets corrupted and your just screwed. Due to this same problem I got in the habit of saving an extra session somewhere else as a backup as your actual sound files are rarely harmed. That way you can recover alot of your work. You still lose some of your work but it's not a total loss at least. The more you update it, the better off you are. Being paranoid and saving often is ALWAYS a good thing. It is most defiantly worth the trouble and has saved me from a complete loss multiple times.

you can try opening them in temp, in your local: drive but chances r if it opens and you click continue and then it freezes before it opens, its more then likely gone, its a C*NT happened to me a few times, sometimes just click save after everybit you record so you dont risk losing if you crash

I'd urge anyone in this situation to take up Ranaway's generous offer. He knows what's what when it comes to session files.

James.

I'll third that. If a session can be recovered, Runaway can do it--and, if HE can't it's probably impossible.

FYI, Runaway also writes the very useful ses2sesx utility that lets you use sessions from old versions of Cool Edit/Audition on the current ones with the modern sesx format.

Thanks guys.

The important thing to note about the ses format is that generally once you realise that the session is corrupt its already too late.
As a rule if your system is stable it should be a very rare thing to get a corrupted ses file.
However, there was a time (due to a corrupt video driver) I got a few crashes resulting in some data loss.
That is why I built the SesBackup application (its free and available via the AATranslator web site). It will backup your ses file for a project or all projects to a seperate location or to the source folder - run it every now and then or before you start something important and at least you have a backup.

I just got Adobe Audition trying to make a more advance recording then Cool Edit Pro could offer so hope this doesn't happen to me. Cool Edit used to crash on me from time to time but always would recover with "continue session". One thing Cool Edit was picky about was the noise reduction. Start playing with it too fast and would crash every time.

Back