Recording Problem.. PLEASE HELP!

99hrhass

i can't seem to record.. i just get a flat line BUT at the bottom of the screen the record monitor level moves and reads my mic.. it just doesnt record? PLEASE HELP! PLEASE.. i've bee trying to sort this for ages and i need it sorted asap.. any help or advice for help would be much appreciated!!!

To test two-way communication capability of sound hardware

Open Sounds and Multimedia properties in Control Panel.
Click the Voice tab, and then click the Voice Test button.
Follow the instructions in the Sound Hardware Test wizard

Butch-1 said:
can you record on your windows Sound Recorder ?

Oh come on man! If you can't even get sound recorder to work what are you expecting from cool edit? I suggest you sit down with the manual for a couple of nights and study it.

Too many people think you just plug in your mic and hit record and BINGO! Hit Single!...doesn't quite work like that I'm afraid.

i know it doesnt... u dont know the full story so dont be quick to assume like that! i no its not that easy but it was working before.. anyway no more help from u thanks! dont like assumers

Okay...if that hardware test didn't work then your problem is someplace before the signal ever gets to Cooledit/Audition.

Things to check:

You mentioned a mixer...make sure the sound is set properly there. There will likely be a meter or flashing LED or something to indicate proper sound, or you may be able to listen to the output on headphones.

Check all cables...make sure they're in the proper sockets

Check the Windows Mixer on your PC to make sure the proper input is selected on the RECORD menu. If you're feeding from a mixer this will likely be Line in; the test may have auto selected Mic in for you.

Basically you just have to be methodical and check each part of the chain in sequence.

Oh, and reading the manual is a GOOD thing for the future...but I doubt it would help on this one since the sound isn't even getting into your computer.

Bob

thankyou for ur msg bob, really apprecate it! :)

the sound in my mixer is set properly there. the meter indicates the sound and i can listen to the output on headphones. (this is why its complicated and ANNOYING it must just be 1 simple thing right?)

all the cables and that are in the proper sockets..

the proper input is selected in the record menu..

which manual is it ur talking about? ill read it.. although i dont think it applies to me

Did you arm the track for recording?

ie:click the red sqare with an "R" in the individual track you are trying to record to.

99hrhass said:
ive tested the hardware it didnt work..

why do i need to sit down with a manual? i dont think so..

If your (hardwear/ soundcard) dont work then your softwear is not going to work !!!

1st: can you hear any sound on your PC
if you can your (hardwear/ soundcard) is working, at least some

then go back and test two-way communication capability of

(sound hardware )

Open Sounds and Multimedia properties in Control Panel.
Click the Voice tab, and then click the Voice Test button.
Follow the instructions in the Sound Hardware Test wizard

Back