Recording Drums... Multiple Tracks or Just One?

hybridsound

I'm having a bit of a problem with my drums. When I record them all at once onto one track, I can never get the EQ to favor any part of the track. If I want to boost the mids in the snare, the cymbals and hi hat come out really sharp and clangy. If I want to boost the low end of the bass drum, the toms eat everything else up. I do EQ each mic and it all sounds good when I listen to the mix before I record, but when it is actually recorded, it seems like some of the tones that were there before got left out when the recording took place. I have started to record my drums differently now due to this problem. I record each drum part piece by piece. For example:

Bass drum and snare = 1 Track
Toms = 1 Track
Cymbals = 1 Track
Hi Hat = 1 Track

Is this wrong for me to do? I know it is not conventional in the least but... Is it wrong? When I do it this way, I can EQ everything seperately and adjust the volume of each individual track. If I had recorded on just one track, I would not beable to do so.

Do other people do this? I just want your thoughts on this.

Sorry if this post is really hard to read... I've been awake for a long, long time.

If you are limited to 4 tracks while recording drums, you could set something up like this:

Bass - 1 track
Snare - 1 track
Overhead Left - 1 track
Overhead Right - 1 track

Or if you want to, you could replace one overhead with a mic on the hi hat, but I'd keep the bass and snare separate.

That being said, I have had some success using a mixing board and mixing down the drums to record on 1 stereo track in Audition. It takes some time to setup properly and you are right, once your track is down you have very little control over the individual drum components.

Back