question about the homerecording.com faq

needmyownstudio

in relation to all the "stuff" like this:

"100 Hz is a warm area. If your signal has anything in this range, try boosting.
200 Hz is a boomy area. Try a cut here."

im probably an idiot but in cool edit where do i tell what is in the 100 hz are of my selections? also when he says "try boosting" and ect. he just means on that specific selection correct? like if i had hip hop vocals i was adding onto a proffesionally produced (and i assume engineered) instrumental. but my vocals monitered levels in 200 hz (which supposedly i should experiment with cutting), i just cut those levels on the vocals right? i dont mix the instrumental down with the vocals before i do my 200 hz cut correct?

by the way i know all his 200 hz cutting, etc are just suggestions that i should experiment with. im just saying hypothetically, for the sake of this question.

Boosting 100 hz on a vocal track wont do much good in the context of a full mix

But, click on the eq tab on top of the track info, and double click on any of the eq parameters. This opens up a fully parametric eq, where you can define your central frequencies. Then you can boost and cut at will

Good Luck

thanks chrisjob. i appreciate the help a lot.

i understand exactly how you explained to check and cut/boost the frequencies. my only other question (which you made semi clear, but i was just looking for a 100%), is you suggest i mix the vocals in with the instrumental before eq'ing the vocals?

the reason i ask is this:

if i want to purchase a beat from a studio, but record and mix it and home (then i will take it in to be mastered proffesionally). what order should i do things? is it compress the vocals, mix the vocals with the instrumental, then eq the whole track accordingly? or is it better not to mess with the instrumental (besides the actual mixdown of the vocals with the instrumental), because it was already done by pro's?

thanks again for the help you have given thus far. it is greatly appreciated

If the beat you purchase comes as a single file (kick snare, bass, melody), then I'd compress your vocal, and try to eq it to fit some kind of space.

If you get several tracks with separate instruments, load them all up and do a traditional kind-of mix, with compression, eq, effects, etc. There's plenty of info on this site, and some great books on the subject.

On a creative note:
If you're merely a lyricist, I'd try to find another independant artist to program your beat for you. You'll have much more creative control and you can structure your song as you like.

There's lots of guys on this website who'd be interested, Im sure (check out the dj/hiphip/rap forum) and thousands all over the internet.

Keep us updated,
Chris

thanks a lot again chrisjob. you have given me more help than i could have originally hoped for. yeah i am strictly a lyricist. i may look into some of the guys on this site. usually the instrumentals i have purchased from other internet producers have been already mixed down. which was why i was so confused as far as eq'ing went.

thanks again youve been a lot of help. as always ill continue experimenting

Back