Please Help Confused Newbies!!!

dan0284

My bandmates and I have had some trouble recording through cool edit pro recently. The sound we get when we record is very "muddy" and "wet", unlike a "professional" sounding record which has a crisp sound. THe sound we are getting almost sounds as if we are playing under water, very bassy, and muddy. In other words our recordings sound too much like a basement recordings. We know it is not our equipment (Mics-Shure SM 57's and 58's, soundcard-brand new Lexicon Core 2). We basically have decided our lack of recording knoweldge is what is doing it. We are very new at recording, what tips if any can you give to help us achieve that "pro" sound. In other words how will things like compression, noise/hiss reduction, amplitude, eq graphing and what not help us. How and when do we use each to get a better overall tone and sound qaulity? And is there anything else that you can advise we do? Thanks a lot for any help you can offer, I know it was a lot, but it would really really end a lot of grief we have over poor tone. Thanks again!

Don't record bands much, but there are lots of places to get good info about recording (go to the training or FAQ or support pages of these sites). Try the Cakewalk site (www.cakewalk.com I think) the harmony Central site, the Syntrillium software site and here. here are a lot of things which can make good music sound bad!! Sorry I can;t be more helpful, but those are good places to start.

Yea Dan, I'm going to ask people in school tomorrow. I think it might be running your guitar mic through the 4 track instead of directly to the box, we need to get an XLR converter to a 1/4 inch, that is ONE solution i think.

I think your answer is a mic pre-amp between your mic and your soundcard. This will give the result you are looking for. Art TubeMP, or Presonus Bluetube are a couple. I use an Art TubePAC and like it alot. There are others, too. But this is what i think you need.

H2H

dan you are eq'ing the whole band? at once live?
splain a little better
we used to do analog on all our live gigs
record straight from effects send to tape
then eq as best we could at post mix kinda

Back