playing midi live from controller

jesushimself

here is what im looking to do, after i have recorded all my tracks and what not, id like to go back and play small "parts" over them uising my midi controller. my controller is hooked thru my midi in and my sound module is hooked thru my serial, so therefore i need to run a midi program to produce any sound from the controller. is there a way to get this sound recorded somehow?

This might be an answer, if the question is a CE/AA question: this software doesn't record MIDI.

jesushimself said:
here is what im looking to do, after i have recorded all my tracks and what not, id like to go back and play small "parts" over them uising my midi controller. my controller is hooked thru my midi in and my sound module is hooked thru my serial, so therefore i need to run a midi program to produce any sound from the controller. is there a way to get this sound recorded somehow?

You can play midis and record them simultaneously.
Afterwords you just save those as WAV or mp3.
If that's what you want???

I use it to make drum tracks from midis.
The quality is not all that but I 'll do so until I get real rhythm machine.

Could you not bypass the pc for midi - just use the controller straight to sound module with a midi cable and simply record your playing?
If you must have the pc involved, try a cheap midi sequencer program running at the same time as CEP. You may have to deselect the midi ports you're using in CEP - if they aren't "multiclient", the two programs can't access them at the same time.
A nice cheap Midi only sequencer is Voyetra midi/music studio or whatever its called now.

to jimmy y

heres the thing,
my sound module which is a alesis qsr is hooked thru my computer thru the serial port because the buffering and latency is far better than midi. and my controller cant be hooked into that becase once you set the qsr to recieve serial , it stays in that mode, meaning you cant run midi and serial at the same time. so bypassing it wont really fly.
i record my midi parts normally thru fruity loops and i figured i could send it out to the mixer channel that plays my qsr, but the problem is you cant have these two programs running at the same time, it sais "the specified format can not be supported" or something like that, is there something i can disable in cep ?

Looks like your Soundcard drivers won't share. You could try deselecting Audio drivers in FL I suppose if you only want it for midi.
Essentially, only one program needs to use the audio driver (CEP) and the other one only midi (FL). Depends if FL will allow you to select "None" for audio devices and have CEP not using the midi ports.

Hate to say it though, what you really need is something like Cakewalk Sonar or Home Studio so you can combine audio and midi in the same project. You would still have CEP as an excellent stereo mastering and editing program.
Personally that is what I do using Sonar and CEP2/Audition.

Then again, doesn't the latest FL-Studio do multitrack audio too now?

jim y,

yes, the fl does do multitracking but theres no way in hell could i ever master and record everything in there ive become so dependent on cep, theres nothing like it. i have considered sonar or home studio or even cubase can handle that but im so attached to cep.
i just bought a maudio usb audiophile sound card so perhaps ill be able to resolve this issue somehow. and fl is great for song construction, cus i work with nothing but samples for drums and i staff out the midi , its just that real time flavor i need to throw on top of things as icing or whatnot.
i thank you for all yr input though.

jh

Back