Peaking out

OMGthatsCrAzY

Whats the best way to avoid peaking out? Someone told me that there's an option in CE that will amplify the volume of the MP3 to the point right before it peaks out anywhere...is this true?

I think you're trying to avoid clipping. To avoid peaking the mic, simply turn the levels down.

If you want to amplify the volume of the entire MP3 by a db or two, and avoid clipping, use Effect>Amplify>Hard Limiting.

Change of POETS said:
I think you're trying to avoid clipping. To avoid peaking the mic, simply turn the levels down.

If you want to amplify the volume of the entire MP3 by a db or two, and avoid clipping, use Effect>Amplify>Hard Limiting.
Ok cool, thanks for the advice. Can you explain to me exactly how to use the hard limiting option?

OMGthatsCrAzY said:
Ok cool, thanks for the advice. Can you explain to me exactly how to use the hard limiting option?
It's in the help files that came with your cracked copy of this software.

chrisharris said:

I just bought a Presonus Firepod that came with a version of cubase LE that I don't know how to use very well. Are you claiming that I have a cracked copy because I just got it and don't know how to use it yet??? Had I bought this as my first venture into home recording having never used a DAW(right now I use AA 1.0), I would have the same questions that he has. It's not cool to accuse people of things that unless you have proof. If you don't have proof, then what exactly are you basing your assumptions off of? Please explain.....

chrisharris said:
I didnt know that when you pay for something, you automatically get all the knowledge about the product....and thanks for your positive contribution to my thread...

Brief - Thanks for the defense.

Sooooo...that's a "no, I didn't shell out over $200 for multitrack recording software without having the faintest idea what compression is, what reverb is, and what a limiter does."

Sorry man, but usually by the time somebody is ready to spend hundreds on a freaking CD, they have a clue about the very basics of recording. And I personally don't give a rat's ass if you have a pirated version or not...what pissed me off was you posting multiple threads that had nothing to do with this software at all, and more to do with "Recording 101."

"Can you explain to me exactly how to use the hard limiting option?"

In Edit View: Effects>Amplify>Hard Limiting. You'll get a dropdown. Think of 0 dB as your ceiling. The figure in the top little window is the level below 0 dB where the hard limiter will kick in. NOTHING will go above that level after you choose it. It'll knock the peaks off your wavs so that there's not as much dynamic range. You'll be able to turn the track's overall volume up as well. Ignore the other settings for now, and see how your music sounds as you tweak the max amplitude setting: tweak it 1 dB at a time at first to see how it works. I don't think you'll go much past -5 dB, but wtfdik?

Sometimes you want to use hard limiting, but sometimes you want to use compression. Compression's harder to use, and takes time to study and figure out, and no I don't want to explain it right now lol.

Back