Newbie Audition question

scifiw

Hi,

I'm new to Adobe audition and I need to put together a conversation from 2 .mp3 files. I'd appreciate some help and input regarding how to go about it.

So the two .mp3 files were recorded by 2 different people with different equipments. While both of them are good quality there are some differences. On one of them the voice of the speaker is louder and sharper.

I also have to cut out the sentences so they come one after the other. At least that's what I think I should do.

Could you please advise how to start, and what effects or settings I should use to make it sound that the conversation was recorded in one place?

Thanks

To put two files together just go to multitrack view and drag both files in - one to a track. I am assuming you are wanting to put the two files together to simulate a conversation that never happened, so to speak. You have some options on how you want to proceed.

In AA you can manually alter the file's length by "grabbing" either end toward the middle of the edge and shortening the file until to have your end point. Do the same with the second file to isolate the sentence you want. Right click the second file and slide it against the first file. Check to see if it sounds "right" to your ear. For the third sentence pull the first file into the multitrack view again, isolate the next sentence as above and continue. You can pull both files into multitrack view as many times as you want to. It's all non-destructive.

Another way would be to view each file in edit view. Highlight the sentence in each file you want to separate out, right click and from the pop up menu select either "Save selection" or "Copy to New". "Save Selection" will prompt you to name the selection and then save it back to the location you choose on your hard drive. "Copy to New" will save the selection back to the left section where the files you are working with reside. It will be named whatever the original file is named along with the addition of a number to indicate which copy it is. Example: file is named "rocket.mp3". With CTN the resulting saved file will be named "rocket (2).mp3. After you have all your audio for both files separated for your needs just drag them all into multitrack view, lining them up however you want. When you have them the way you want choose either "Mixdown to Mono Track" or Stereo track from the Edit menu.

You could also pop back and forth between both files in Edit view doing copy and paste assembly - choosing at the start which file will be the "assembled" file. This will be destructive depending how you choose to save things. IMO that is a harder way to do things. The choice is entirely yours.

I may not have the command names 100% right, but hopefully enough to get you close. I do this so often I don't even pay attention to the command names anymore.

Back