Need Cool Edit Help....

KingNothing

Hey guys.

Heres the deal: Im recording drums with 2 mics (yes, i know...laugh it up). 1 on kick and one on snare. Theyre positioned so that it kinda picks up the whole kit, its not that bad of a sound really.

I run both mics into an Event Gina sound card. I mic goes to Line Input 1, the other goes to Line Input 2. The problem is when it is recorded. Both mics are recorded onto the same track but one mic is panned hard right, and the other hard left. So the kick drum is coming out the right speaker, and the snare is coming out of the left. Is there anyway in Cool Edit to take the left side of one track and lay it over the right side of the same track, and vice versa? Or even better, is there a way to record Line Input 1 to track 1 and Line input 2 to Track 2?

Sorry, this is all probably real confusing. If you need me to elaborate or anything, please dont hesitate to ask. I need to figure this problem out. Thanks.

no prob. In the multitrack window.. click the little red number on each track to choose a recording device. Make sure that youi click on 'left' or 'right' and NOT on 'stereo' to isolate those tracks.

with the stereo wave you have thats kick one way and snare the other.. in the edit wave veiw.. click the 'swap channels, mix L and R' button (in between amplify and dynamics) to mix those channels.

xoxoox

Hey, I have another question about this problem.

If I tell it to record both mics on just the left side of the stereo channel, obviously it will all be coming out of the left side. How do I make it come out of both. I inserted the same wave file into another track and panned it hard right to make it balance with the left side. Does this work, or is there an easier/better way to do this?

Thanks again.

>I inserted the same wave file into another track and panned it hard right to make it balance with the left side. Does this work, or is there an easier/better way to do this?

You're working w/ a stereo wav file. Go into waveform view and convert the sample type to mono using 100% of L channel and 0% of R and save that as Ldrums.wav. Now reload the stereo file and do the same thing but reversing L and R so now you have two mono files Ldrums.wav and Rdrums.wav. Insert these into your multitrack session and you can pan and boost/cut them as you wish.

Of course you could've skipped that whole process if you recorded straight to two mono tracks as described above by camn, but no biggie. It's a shame CEP doesn't wav a "split stereo wav to two mono wavs" function. It'd be incredibly simple and time saving.

Back