Multitrack Recording

Mike

Using an external mixer, DMAN 2044 sound card. How can I listen to one track,(1) record on another(2)without recording track 1?

Not sure about your soundcard - is it full duplex? (that's what you need to record and listen at the same time). If it is full duplex, then this'll do it:

* After Track 1's recorded, and you've 'disenabled' it (red waveform turns green), enable 'record' on Track 2 and when you're ready to play or sing, click 'record' down below. You should be able to hear track 1 as well as the track you're recording.

In cool edit pro, you need to get into multi-track mode. To do that (sorry if you know this) just click on the rectangular button in the upper left corner. One in multitrack view, you will see four tracks, but there are 64 tracks available. You can then select the input and output device for each track by clicking on the small buttons with a 1 on them. Select the approprite input devices, etc. Then arm the tracks by pressing the R button (red one) by the track. Hit the record button and lay it down. Then, disarm (push the R button again) the track. Then arm the next track, and you when you hit record you will be able to hear track 1 and record on track two. I hope I answered your question and didn't just fill your head with stuff you already knew. Anymore questions, I use CEP all the time.

MIKE

Thanks for your reply guys.

I have the output from the mixer going to DMAN input 3, Dman output 1 into line 4 of mixer. When I select Device Preferences, it lists; Playback Device, (1st) Dman 2044 1/2 playback; Recording Device, damn 2044 3/4.

When I initiate record on Track 2, I can hear Track 1 and my new recording but Track 2 still records Track 1 as well.

Have I got you totally confused now? I'm quite familiar with CEP but DMAN is new to me. My simple mind can't figure out this simple problem.

Hmm... In the track console, in the recording device dialog box, have you assigned Track 1 to say, Left Channel, and Track 2 to Right Channel (or vice versa)?

Back