Mixing Drums on CEP

mastahnke

Linux Man...
I recorded drums for a song I am working on using CEP. I had a Shure Beta 52(I think) on the bass drum, an SM-57 on the Snare, an audio technica Midnight Blues series small condenser on one cymbal an audiotechinica pro series small condenser on another cymbal, and a Shure Large Condensor on the overheads. So I guess that is five tracks of drums. I have the cymbals panned hard right and left so it sounds good through the headphones. Anyway, are there any EQ rcommendations for the bass and/or snare track. They were both recorded without any effects. The bass had the highs taken out and the snare wsas flat, if I recall correctly. I think I might have phasing problems due to mic placement as well, anyone know how to fix that in CEP?
Thanks,
MIKE

If you get lucky, S-8N will come around and share his experiences in this department - he did a *lot* of micing of drums using CEP before he moved on to other software.

But "phasing problems due to mic placement"? Isn't that just natural reverb, natural depth?

CEP (or any other software) cant fix phase probs... unless I am wrong.
If you have Phase probs, it would be on the overheads.
I never had much luck EQ-ing anything in CEP because you cant listen to the whole mix as you try to EQ it... Its like trying to take a picture in the dark- sure, it will look fine when the picture is developed... but you cant really see what you are doing up untill that flash goes off...
I am rambling, now...
I wouldnt EQ the kick drum to "tape" because the click is hard to place untill you hear the whole mix...
I never had much luck EQ-ing the snare either... Got to get it right, from the get go... Placement and damping are everything...

Back