Mike Noise

jgwilk

I have a cassette tape of a speech given by my son. Problem is it was a very poor recording without any kind of mike preamp. I have cleaned it up quite nicely with compression and amplification and a little reverb. But I want to know the best way to get rid of the mike pops. They sound like his lips hit the mike or he breathed real hard into it at the start of a word. The decibels go off the graph when they occur. Hints or tips?? I thought of just zooming in and cutting them out. but do not know if that will work. I am a newbie and have used cool edit 2k, but have just upgraded to Audition. What a step. Thanks in advance.

i think i know

open up the file in the edit view... select it all and go to noise reduction.. clip pop eliminator... that should take away alot of it... it might sound slightly different.. but its a speech.. not a guitar track.. so i dont think it will be a prob. good luck

If you're still around, lol...the correct answer is....

...drum roll....

NONE OF THE ABOVE, lol (in a kind of smartass mood...forgive me). You're hearing "plosives," which are caused by air hitting the diaphram of the mic, usually on the consonants "P" or "W", but it can happen anywhere. Super easy to fix perfectly by runniing a high pass filter over it.

In edit view - "EFFECTS --> FILTERS --> SCIENTIFIC FILTERS", then select "HIGH PASS"...

Just make it look like the pic I'm attaching (also in a pic posting mood). Since we're talking about a speech (i.e., no kick drum, lol), run this over the entire file, and it really will clear up a lot of it. On the ones that it doesn't knock out, then zoom in and run the filter just over the annoying pop, but use a higher cutoff (instead of 100, use 200Hz or 300)...You don't wanna' run it that high over the whole speech, b/c he'll sound like he's FDR giving a speech on an A.M. radio, but it's fine to knock out the lows that are in a P or an F or a W. The best part is, when you do this, you'll still be able to hear the offending consonant normally as opposed to making him sound like Mickey Rooney in his role as "BILL."

"I _ill ha__ily answer any questions a_ter my s_eech today, _robably."

Attachments

• low cut filter.jpg
    low cut filter.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 55
Back