maudio firewire audiophile

shortness

scott swatzell
is anyone here using cep 2.0 with m-audio's firewire audiophile unit? am toying w/going this route coupled w/my laptop. any comments would be appreciated :)

As long as you set the I/O in CEP to recognize the M-Audio, there should be no problem. I have used Cool Edit Pro (and Adobe Audition) with a Tascam US428, an ART DIO preamp, a digital and an analog mixer and 2 different sound cards without problems. One thing to be aware of is to tick the boxes for lining up the tracks, if you are not using a device that synchs via wordclock. These are in Options/Settings/Multitrack.

thanks lpdeluxe...do you know anything about the indigo i/o cards? am also considering that, but just not sure what would be the best approach (keep in mind affordability) to record to my laptop...will be sending from my mixer to the soundcard, but will be tracking multiple tracks while recording. i am hearing/reading decent things about both cards. thanks,scott

I have only used the Lexicon and Terratec cards. My thinking is that, as long as you keep away from the bottom end (Soundblaster, for example) and get something designed for multiple duplex (simultaneous record + play) you'll do OK.

There has been a lot of debate about this card or that one, but the fact is, if you are on a budget, there's not infinite choice. What I did, was figure out what kinds of I/O I wanted (in my case, ADAT lightpipe), then I looked in Electronic Musician's Computer Music Product Guide http://www.emusician.com/ (scroll to the bottom left)
for a sound card that did that. I ended up with a Terratec EWS88D, which also has an analog stereo out so I can play back CDs and also 2 pairs of MIDI I/O, which I now need for my Mackie Control Universal, all for slightly over $100US. I'm not saying this is the card for you, just that the resources are out there for narrowing down the choices.

Another possibility is the variety of I/O devices that use their own PCI card or USB/Firewire devices to connect to the computer. As I said, as long as CEP recognizes the device you are using, the limit is really in the device. I recorded through the USB 1.1 cable on a Tascam US428, just to see if I could do it, and it worked fine...and newer USB devices use 2.0 which is capable of multiple tracks.

Back