mackie and focusrite in AA

littlemike

Has anyone connected a Mackie 1620i firewire mixer and a focusrite saffire pro 10 firewire into AA 1.5 or AA 3.0 and recorded simultaneously? I'd like to know if AA will recognize the 2 simultaneously...I presently have the focusrite saffire pro 10 i/o, but it has just 8 xlr inputs. I need 12 xlr inputs. I wouldn't mind the mackie 1640i,but I can't afford it right now.

I've not tried either of the hardware devices you mention but I HAVE persuaded Audition 1.5 to accept two different interfaces (in my case a Tascam and an M Audio).

However, there's a "but" and depending what you're doing it could be a big one. To make it work you need to use MME drivers since ASIO can only handle one device at at time. MME=latency galore. This wasn't an issue for me because I was doing a live stage show with no fold back/monitoring from the recording--but for more normal multitracking it could be a problem.

Mackie and Focusrite

Thanks for your response Bobbsy! I've read and posted in many forums, finally...someone who knows what they're talking about, finally someone answers! I was beginning to think I'm the only one who's ever asked this question and who experiments with different options.
Your answer is good enough, if you were able to have AA 1.5 recognize Tascam and M-Audio,that's good enough for me. I'm gonna go ahead and get a Mackie to try alongside my Focusrite (soon as I can). Will post results!

Good luck!

One other thing I meant to mention...

The other issue I had was that, over the length of the recording (in my case up to about 90 minutes) the difference in wordclock (both devices had their own) produced noticeable drift in sync. It wasn't hard to pull things back into sync--but it was a pain in the posterior while doing it!

Good luck!

One other thing I meant to mention...

The other issue I had was that, over the length of the recording (in my case up to about 90 minutes) the difference in wordclock (both devices had their own) produced noticeable drift in sync. It wasn't hard to pull things back into sync--but it was a pain in the posterior while doing it!
to solve this issue you can choose one device for the other to slave to or do what I did...incorporate a separate clock...I use a Lucid GENx6 96 superclock and it can control up to 6 devices.

With "proper" interfaces, yes of course. In my current set up I have a designated master and distribute word clock by BNC to 5+ devices.

However, back when I had to run the cheat of two incompatible interfaces, neither was properly set up to accept an external reference.

Back