Low input levels??

Guitodd

I have a new computer... An AMD Athlon 900 with 512m of memory. The sound card is an Creative Labs PCI128.

When using the line-in or even playing a CD I cannot get an input level in SoundForge or Cool Edit. I've been through the obvious stuff like checking the Creative Mixer to make sure stuff is unmuted and that the slider knob is up.

I've tryed relocating the card to a different PCI slot etc.

Whats keeping the audio from reaching my apps?? I can hear it through the speakers just fine.

Thanks in advance,
Todd

just a couple guesses... go to your options>device settings, tab and make sure that your input selections are where they should be. You may have to select between your digital ins VS the analog ins (I'm not familiar with your sound card) if you have those options. Also, are you sure that your meters are just NOT activated in S/F or CEP? Have you tried recording anything yet to actually see if you are getting a signal to your programs? I know in S/F you have to check the monitor box in the record mode window to get the meters to work. In CEP, you dbl click on the meters (when a track is armed in multi view) to get them to work, I believe. But my first thought is the input preferences.

Low input level??

Seems my problem is going off-topic. So I'll post what I figured out so far.

It seems to be a system problem. I have uninstalled the software for the SBPCI128, relocated the card, and reinstalled the software.

One thing I noticed under Multimedia Properties is an entry called "line input devices". On my machine here at work it has: "line input for SB16 Plug and play"

At home I have nothing under this line. I wonder how the heck I install that. I've installed the software and it isn't there.

I'm assuming this is the problem now. I think I'll e-mail Creative Labs and see what they say.

Thanks,
Todd

What About Your Record Input Settings?

Hello! Been there, done that!

Go to your bottom right hand corner of the screen. Open the Volume Controls. Click on Options then on Properties. When
the window opens, select Recording. Make sure all the options
are ckecked at the bottom of the window for all your options. Then click "OK". All of your recording input options will be staring
you in the face. Just put a check at the bottom of the input you want to use. (It only allows one option at a time)

You can get to the same place from within Cool Edit Pro by clicking on Options, Windows Mixer, and then to Options, Properties, etc.. as before. I believe this will fix you up.

Hope this info helps.

George

Back