Looking for util to clean up the "Recorded" folder in ver. 2.0

RawDepth

A few years ago, I heard about a 3rd party utility that helps recover wasted disc space within the "Recorded" folders. Apparently it deletes all files not included in the saved sessions. Granted, I can clean out the folders manually but, once you have a dozen takes of each instrument along with a handful of punch-in files, it can become a bit daunting.

I would do a search myself, but I don't know the name of it. Any help would be appreciated.

A few years ago, I heard about a 3rd party utility that helps recover wasted disc space within the "Recorded" folders. Apparently it deletes all files not included in the saved sessions. Granted, I can clean out the folders manually but, once you have a dozen takes of each instrument along with a handful of punch-in files, it can become a bit daunting.

I would do a search myself, but I don't know the name of it. Any help would be appreciated.

MediaSweeper - Adobe Audition®, Vegas & Reaper File Cleanup Utility

These app don't have their own clean-up tools or methods?

No, in Adobe Audition, each new recording session creates a "_Recorded" folder for recorded tracks. It uses whatever name you give to the session. For example, if you name your session "Song One" then the new folder will be named "Song One_Recorded." All newly recorded audio files that belong to that session will automatically be placed in that folder.

If anytime during the session you click on a recorded track (in multitrack view) and hit DELETE, it tosses the file out of your multitrack session but it still shows up in your "Files" window as an open file and it still exists in the _recorded folder. (This is in case you later decide you want to drag it back into the session.) There is a built-in feature that removes unused media files from the file window, but even then, it does not delete them from your hard drive. It leaves them in the recorded folder as orphan files because they no longer belong to your session. After a long hard session with a lot of takes, the recorded folder can end up cluttered with dozens of orphan files that did not make the final cut.

That's why I want this handy little utility. Each time I start a new song, I start a new session. I have lots of completed sessions on my drives with unused/unwanted audio files.

Last edited:
Make sure you have a quick flick through the doco as this tool does a lot more than it appears and is extremely flexible.

There are links to a few other useful tools on that site as well.

Back