Izotope Ozone and CEP

PapillonIrl

Okay I finally bought Ozone, and for the record I'm very impressed. It's damn sexy looking, and I love the way it just makes the interface easy to understand rather than trying to make it look like virtual rack units.

I really like the way the compresser and the eq sound on it, and the fact that you can adjust them both in real-time. Is there any reason why I shouldn't use these on instrument and vocal tracks (rather than full stereo mixes) instead of CE's EQ and compresser ?

I'd really recommend this plugin btw. Izotope also seem to have a good support attitude also, much like Syntrilliums.

pAp

If the EQ and compressor sound good to your ears compared to cool edits then why not. Cooledits compressor and parametric eq sound pretty good if you don't push them too far. Do some tests and let your ears do the deciding.
By the way I've heard a lot of good things about Ozone as a mastering tool.

Scott.

Papillon, play with it and compare it to Cool and get back to us. I'd really appreciate your report. Especially for compression, as I'm on the verge of springing for a compression plug because I can't figure out how to use Cool's dyanmics processor.

And Dobro's quest to sus out the cooledit comp goes on...
and on..... and on.

Forget the two attack and release thing just use the graphic window. Click a dot about 80% up its path. Then move the dot left and up whilst looking at the numeric readout on the right. There's your compression amount and your threashold. Now move the very top dot on the line downwards. Now the compressor is limiting. now set your attack and realease by using the first of the two attack windows. The second one (level detector) is usually default on normal compressors. Its just the way it reads the wav. So set its input gain to zero, attack fast, release slow and it will read the wav like most other compressors. Leaving you to use the top window attack and release in a more traditional way.
I think the reason for the second attack/release is more about simulating different kinds of compressors. As all compressors read the input signal in different ways. Having an adjustment for this has just confused people.

When using CEP compression look at the little window in the bottom right corner. It tells you exactly what the settings are based on db level and compression ratio. It is not easy to use I will agree but it has amazing power. You can set up different levels of compression for every db if you wanted to.

dobro said:
Papillon, play with it and compare it to Cool and get back to us. I'd really appreciate your report. Especially for compression, as I'm on the verge of springing for a compression plug because I can't figure out how to use Cool's dyanmics processor.

I agree that Cool's Compressor is not the most intuitive, although it may well be powerful. I usually mess around with the graphic mode and listen. I must say though, that the mutliband compressor section in the Ozone manual really explains it's operation (which is similar in a way to the graphical mode of CEP's) the .pdf download is here:

http://www.izotope.com/products/ozone/ozoneguide.html

It definately cleared things up a bit for me as regards what was going on when I was adjusting CEP's compresor...anyways, more comparisions/info when I get time, but I have a feeling I will prefer Ozone's processing.

pAp

LOL

Well, I don't want to pay for izotope just so I can understand Cool. :D

Scott - my question goes on and on because I've never found anyone to answer it. But I think your response holds the key. Stop trying to work out the double attack/release dialog, and just stick with the graph.

Okay, TRK, you believe in it, so I'll make it work for me. I'll apply the $40 I save on the plug to the mastering software Papillon bought. :)

Cheers, all.

I think you misunderstood slightly...I downloaded the manual for Ozone a good while before I bought it or used it. I found the diagrams and explanations in the manual made sense of what I had been doing with Cools compressor. As a result I became better (read: quicker at getting the results I wanted) at using CEP's compressor before I bought Ozone.

pAp

Hey Dobro you should still use the attack and release as well as the graph but just use the top one not the lower attack settings. The top one effects the sound, the bottom one doesnt do much. So if your compressing bass guitar for example you would still want to set slow attack and fast or medium (or whatever) release. Just leave the bottom one at default.

Scott....

Papillon - okay, got it. I'll check it out - thanks.

Scott - if I find myself in Sydney again, I'm buying you a beer, followed by another beer. That's really useful (the advice, not the beer :D). I've been wanting to use the traditional dialog in Cool because of its precision (I find the graph a bit clumsy to use).

Okay, entering Cool compression now... Thanks.

Last edited:
Back