i need help from start to finish

needmyownstudio

Lets imagine I am a complete newbie. This will help to eliminate any misconceptions about my questions like "if hes asking about this he OBVIOUSLY already understands how to do...this, etc". I want to produce hip hop instrumentals using software programs (such as Fruity Loops), then record over these instrumentals (on a home microphone), and then mix these tracks together. I want as proffesional of a sound as possible (I am willing to invest the time and money). Here are my questions:

1. If i just got cool edit/audition and I am installing it what are some basic settings that i NEED to know and why? I.E. Record in mono, 32-bit float wav, etc. These are settings that are considered SO essential that I should fuck with these before I sit down to work on my first project in cool edit/audition.

2. Once my vocals are recorded. Before I lay them into my already mixed down instrumental. What changes should I think about making to the raw vocals, and once they are mixed into the track how can I get them to lay nicely into the mix?

3. All I desire to do is upgrade the overall sound of my music. I am proud with the production (i could learn to engineer a little better), and I am proud of the people I work with. Basically I think I just need to invest a LOT of time learning more about mixing. As far as actual hardware/software I know that is a must have right now for me (to improve the recording of hip hop vocal tracks)is the M-Box and a new Shure mic. Im still deciding on which Shure mic will benefit myself and the artists I work with the most at this point in time. But if anyone has any suggestions or concerns with the products please let me know. I.E. you dont need an mbox for better recording quality you need this..., or shure mics are overpriced i know one that works just as good here...., etc.

It's like you're saying: "I'd like to paint a masterpiece. Any tips about paint, brushes, techniques would be greatly appreciated."

But here's my answer anyway. One step at a time, you have to learn about EQ, compression and reverb. That's just the beginning. There are no settings, no presets, that anyone can tell you about that will help you. You have to get in there and start *listening* to what it sounds like as you tweak EQ, compression and reverb. You'll learn as you go. You'll make mistakes. But you'll learn. And after you've finished a project and look back at what you've learned, you'll start to understand why the questions you've asked in your post are not ones that can be answered in one thread.

Back