I Need Help With Editing.

Key Rogue

I just finished a collab and most of the times a good friend help me wit editing i wanna learn myself.

Editing my vocals gettin rid of hiss and shit and also mixin instrumental later on....

ya man..

m' also stucked to same thing...

Cooledit hiss reduction is not good... .doesn't work for me..

and i see no expert users answering our post.. :(

please do help us.. .. we are all confused..

Exactly what are you trying to do, and what goes wrong when you try? You'll get more answers if you ask more specific questions. You've both mentioned reducing hiss - where is this hiss coming from? Have you tried noise reduction rather than hiss reduction? Try going through the steps in the program's help file on noise reduction and let us know if you get stuck at some point. Don't try to reduce the hiss too much else it will make what is left sound weird. The best way to reduce hiss is before it gets recorded - don't record at too low a level, and if you can, don't use cheap computer mics (if that's the problem).

You need to be more specific with your questions... from the posts, I can't really decipher what it is you're trying to do, other than reduce hiss. If you read up in here, you'll see numerous people saying not to use Hiss reduction, but noise reduction instead... Outside of that, we can't help you without more specific questions.

i been there dude...heres the shourt course on NR...

CoolEditPro (CEP...lol) Noise reduction (NR) setup is fairly powerful, in my honest opinion. It amazed me when i first got it to work, and it still kinda floors me. Just when i think i found the signal contamination noise that it wont take out, it makes it quiet! I love it.

I dont even bother with hiss removal, i use NR for everything. Heres the basic idea of what you are doing:

1) you need to find a spot in the track where there is silence for this feature to really shine. Not silence, but a lack of signal. The more the better.
TIP: ALWAYS record several seconds of complete silence at the beginning and end of any recording.

2) you select the track you are going to NR, and you edit waveform and it takes you to the edit waveform window. Now you are going to give NR a sample of the noise you want to reduce in your track. Because you ALWAYS obey rule #1's tip, you have like 6 seconds of silence at the end of the track. Highlight the biggest portion of the empty track you can. I've had it work with as little as 1/10 of a second sample of silence, but MORE silence is better. Take this highlighted silent portion and select effect--->noise reduction---> NR noise reduction

3) click on the "get profile from selection" button. the computer will analyze the signal-free portion of the track you just fed it. If you want, you can click on preview to hear the now noise free couple seconds with the hiss magically gone. If you want to hear the hiss that got removed, click on "hear only noise". when you are done, put it back the way it was, and click "save profile". You will have to name your FFT file. If i;m working for example with a vocal track, i will call the noise fft sample "vocal.fft" youre not done, but click cancel.

4) now go back to where you started and either highlight the whole track, or dont highlight anything, and go back to the same NR effect you were just at. Either way, youre now feeding the same NR effect the WHOLE TRACK this time.

5) click "load saved sample" and load the NR fft sample you just saved in #3. click preview and prepare to be amazed...you will hear the track totally cleaned of the hiss or whatever noise sample you fed it. If you really wanna be amazed, select "hear only noise" to hear the whole track of noise you are about to remove...only be SURE to turn hear only noise off...very important to turn it back to previewing the cleaned track. Quit previewing the noise, youre done...click done.

6) CEP will now apply the noise reduction to the entire track. youll be amazed at what you can clean out of a track with the NR feature. We were fooling around recording a demo vocal track, and this kid really nailed his vocals. Only problem was, we were there so long we kind of "tuned out" the clothes dryer runnin about ten feet away, and it was clearly recorded in the background, and there were tennis shoes thumping in the dryer...it totally destroyed the killer vocal track he just layed down! we were BUMMED. ANyhoo, i did this #1 thru #5, having previewed like 10 secs of dryer noise at the end of the track, and when it was done NRing the track, you could not hear it no matter how hard you listened! When we listened to "just the noise", it was like listening to a radio commercial for a clothes dryer!

7) BIG TIP: the longer sample of the noise you feed NR, the better job it will do removing the noise from the track.Once fooling around, I highlighted the vocals in a vocal track and fed THAT to the NR just to see what it would do...the track had a barely audible "ghost voice" on it...when i previewed "just the noise" you could hear practically all the vocal track...if this NR feature worked any better you could remove vocals karaoke style!

8) last tip: if youre not a real "TECH DUDE" and thoroughly familiar with digital signal processing and signal to noise ratio's and stuff, i wouldnt go messing with any of the weird options or settings in NR effect. It works best "as is". Just be sure you have several seconds of silent track to feed the NR and it'll clean practically any noise out of the track you feed it for a sample.

TIP: if youre working on someone ELSE's track that didnt have the courtesy to ley you have several seconds of silence (null signal) at the beginning or end of the track, you have to "zoom in" on the waveform and grab as big a chunk of silence as you can. Ive done this with as litle as 1/10 of a seconds worth of null signal inbetween snare drum hits and had good results.

Since NR feature in CEP works SO DAMN GOOD, ive gotten kind of lazy turning off electrical appliances and flourescent lights and stuff. But in truth,the guy who posted bnefore me was right...the best way to avoid noise is not to record it in the first place. But NR will take like 10dB's of recorded cassette tape hiss right the hell out like nobody;s business leaving you with 10dB's more headroom and meter swing...thats cool!

hope this helped you!

You're the man, SEDstar!

SEDstar said:
CoolEditPro (CEP...lol) Noise reduction (NR) setup is fairly powerful, in my honest opinion. It amazed me when i first got it to work, and it still kinda floors me. Just when i think i found the signal contamination noise that it wont take out, it makes it quiet! I love it.

I dont even bother with hiss removal, i use NR for everything. Heres the basic idea of what you are doing:

hope this helped you!

You're the man, SEDstar!
I've just tried your method! I love it!
You were right! It is amazing!

Have a nice WAVE!

It depends very much on the material and the amount of noise, but my experience is that burbles and other artifacts become noticable if you try to reduce by more than about 15dB. The slider control often gives best results when between 50 and 80%. Also, the small frequency graph control can improve results - if you are trying to reduce noise at a specific frequency or range, use the graph to apply the noise reduction only where required, so that other frequencies are left alone.

But of course, get to grip with the basic use of the tool before moving onto the tweaks.

Sedstar your a star

Just to say thanks for your excellent walkthrough on noise reduction using CEP. I use CEP and never knew you could do this. I use a behringer tube pre amp which is nice but gives a lot of hiss but after following what you said it sounds great...many thanks

nate_nate04 said:
it depends what type of soundcard that you have.
it does??? what if i have the most expensive soundcard on the market...and its in perfect condition...and I have $10,000 in pre amps...and a U87 all in perfect working order...but i have a faulty mic cable which is causing a little static or noise....would the sound card have anything to do with that?

wow .. im impressed. i totally underestimated how well CEP noise reduction works.

i have seen the light.

wow...this thread is still "active"

I was surprised to find this thread still active, glad I was actually of some benefit of some kind. almost brings a tear to my eye, hee hee

I been away about a year, but hi all. nice to be back.

In the interim, i continue to be impressed by the NR feature in CEP/adobe. I was looking for little samples to "drop in" a track, and could only find "lossy" p!$$ poor snippets on the internet in places.

Playing with noise reduction, I was aghast all over again at how well you can clean up a crappy low bit hissy, scratchy, sample snippet. I saved low bit MP3 samples, just horrid things really, in highest bit I could, and played with NR a goodf bit, and once dropped in the mix, youd never know they werent recorded in a much better environment.

a few of them occasionally took "front center stage" in the mix, and you wouldnt know they were such "hissy/dirty/poppy" low bit crap when i found them. I think if i had to selct ONE THING i like best about CEP/Adobe, it would be this dang noise reduction effect they included

(bowing) "I'm not worthy...." LMAO...

man, if we could take this software package back in time a few decades, we could be "producer GODS", by the tech standards of the day way back when...although, with no CD's to record to, we would be farmng out the finished track to tape, but we would still be at least demi-gods, hee hee, they would have erected statues and invented awards just for us,lmao. As it is now, any kid playing with a run of the mill PC now has this power at his fingertips, and most probably dont grasp the inherent usefulness of it...

just when you think you've about found the "plateau", you go and find somethign else in CEP and other programs to amaze you all over again. Pretty cool.

All that...and i STILL hear files peopel made, and just shake my head wondering how i could do it, knowing I have the same basic tools at my disposal (sigh) It must be what its like to be a painter, and know michaelangelo used the same exact brush and paint you were using...LMAO...humbling, and quite...

Back