How Fast Is Fast Enough???

chrisharris

King of Bling
Hey gang.... I'm having somebody build a computer for me this week, and I'm curious about something. The guy building it for me also records, so I think he has a decent handle on what I'm trying to do, but he doesn't use CEP/AA.

The basic specs are (roughly) a 2.6Ghz processor, 512 RAM (Kingston?...not generic RAM, anyway), 160GB hard drive...

Now, I know it'll be a massive improvement over what I have (I don't even TRY real-time FX anymore on this machine)...but was curious as to whether anybody is running a similar (or slower) machine with decent results. You know, actually able to use the busses and a couple of plugs on each track.

thanks,
chris

How fast is fast enough? I dunno, maybe 6 months?
Heh heh. Sorry dude.
I'll get them gits to you soon.

mbuster said:
How fast is fast enough? I dunno, maybe 6 months?
See, that was just hilarious.

Really...take your time. I don't get the machine til MONDAY, so as long as they're done by then, lol...relax... :D

i got a amd 2500 with 512 ram and i ive gone 16 tracks with multible fx with no problems im sure it will go more tracks but thats all ive needed so far. however when i closeout cool edit my desktop refreshes and takes longer than normal so another 512 of ram couldnt hurt.

scottyd said:
i got a amd 2500 with 512 ram and i ive gone 16 tracks with multible fx with no problems im sure it will go more tracks but thats all ive needed so far. however when i closeout cool edit my desktop refreshes and takes longer than normal so another 512 of ram couldnt hurt.
Thanks, man. I'm getting the amd 2600, so basically, identical setup. I'm looking forward to it.

Chris,

I've got an AMD 2700 with 2x 256MB Dual DDR sticks. Dual DDR gives you that extra bandwidth over having a single 512MB stick. It means that both Ram sticks can be accessed at the same time meaning double the bandwidth.

Anything over about 2GHZ is pretty good for real time FX, so you should be able to have quite a few no problem.

Tukkis:)

how about one of those cheapie Dell 2400 computers with the 'lousy' 2.4 gig Celeron processor ...with 256mgs of Ram? They're less than $500 now with free shipping.. Pretty cheap tape deck. Or is that a waste of $500 for a tape deck?

mixmkr said:
how about one of those cheapie Dell 2400 computers with the 'lousy' 2.4 gig Celeron processor ...with 256mgs of Ram? They're less than $500 now with free shipping.. Pretty cheap tape deck. Or is that a waste of $500 for a tape deck?
Good question.

Make sure you're getting a good motherboard. I don't really know what the shit is right now but an extra $50 can go a long way there for overall bandwidth and performance.

In case you didn't know an XP2600 isn't really a 2.6ghz chip. It's probably around 2.3 or something (I don't know). Supposedly AMD chips run faster then the same speed Intel chips so they name them according to the Intel speed they are supposed to be comparable to. Not a big deal and I like AMD but just so you know.

In case you didn't know an XP2600 isn't really a 2.6ghz chip. It's probably around 2.3 or something (I don't know). Supposedly AMD chips run faster then the same speed Intel chips so they name them according to the Intel speed they are supposed to be comparable to.
Yeah, AMD name their CPU's to correspond with the Pentium equivilant. So if the CPU was AMD 2600 it isn't clocked at 2.6GHZ, that's just the performance of it compared to a P4 2.6ghz. They do that so you can compare the correct AMD with the correct P4.

Tukkis

TexRoadkill said:
Make sure you're getting a good motherboard.
Thanks, Tex. You know, I can put a box together, and I can keep them running, but I honestly know very little about component parts. I contracted the gig out to "Bdgr." I don't know if he knows what he's doing or not, but he sure posts a lot, lol.

:D

Thanks for the tip, btw.

Back