How do I get that Professional sound on my vocals? which effects settings to use?

Logik_01

Hey guys

i just want my vocals to sound kinda professional...i have a sm58 and a mic pre (i know im not gonna get pure pro vocals)... but i wanna know which basic effects to use to make it sound "cleaner" can anyone tell me a list of which basic effects i should use on my vocals? any tips or tricks?

thank you.

rappers do a lot of overdubs usually..
try some nice compressing, and cutting some of the muddy sounding frequencies.

by the way.. posting this in the cep-forum is not such a great idea.. try the recording techniques forum instead.

F_cksia said:
rappers do a lot of overdubs usually..
try some nice compressing, and cutting some of the muddy sounding frequencies.

by the way.. posting this in the cep-forum is not such a great idea.. try the recording techniques forum instead.

which compressing setting would you suggest..thanks

im not aming for anything loud and in your ear type of thing, i do more storytelling type tracks where i want my vocals to have a clean sound with some effects...

thanks

Recording Tips for Hip-Hop in Cool Edit Pro 2.0:

1st. Record your verse on one track, when you're happy with it go to step 2.

2nd. Record your verse again, the same as your first track. This is known as an overdub.

3rd. Record an add-lib track. Putting emphasis on certain bars or words, to give it added flair.

You can have more than 3 tracks if you wish, but 3 should be your minimum, otherwise your audio's will not sound professional at all.

Mixing:

Go to: View>Show Mixer Window

make sure all the silver boxes (in default color) are checked so the eq and pan buttons etc... are showing.

Boost your vocal pressence by increasing the dynamic volumes.

Example:

1st track:
Hi - 12.4
Mid - 6.2
Low - 3.1

2nd track:
Hi - 10.3
Mid - 5.2
Low - 2.1

3rd track:
Hi - 9.4
Mid - 3.2
low - 1.0

These settings may not work for you, but play around with them until your voice sounds full.

Remember! - Your 1st track should be prominant, set at 1.5 - 2.0 db louder than your 2nd track. An overdub should always be lower than the 1st track. Your 3rd track (add-libs) should be blended behind that, approx 3.0-6.0 db lower than your 1st track. Your 3rd track should be audible, but not intrusive on tracks 1 or 2.

Mix your vocals so they blend with the beat, but so that they stand out over it. Do not let the beat overpower you!!!! Your lyrics are important, and you want people to hear them right? Make sure they stand out.

Cleaning and Effects:

In the Edit View for each vocal track....

1st. Expand the waveform so it's large enough to see fluxuations in it. usually 3 up, and 3 wide for my personal pref. Then, Right-Click - Select entire wave. Run a noize reduction with your previously saved profile (if you havent done this do so by recording a small 2-5 second track, without making any noise. Just let the mic pic up background noise. Highlight the track in edit view, and go to Noise Reduction, click the "Get profile from selection" button. Then save the profile as "Vocal Noise reduction" for later use on all your vocal tracks.) After you run your Noise Reduction on the wave... listen to the track meticulously... silence any breaths that are noticeable, by highlighting them, then Right-Click - Silence. once you've silenced all breaths, look for click's and pops. To eliminate those, highlight the single click, go to Noise Reduction - Click/Pop Filter. Then click the Auto find threshold button, and then click Fill Single Click. This process takes time, so if you have a slow PC, be ready to sit for a minute or two. Be careful, on some of the larger Pops or clicks, you'll get a metalic sound... if this happens, undo the filter, and live with it. DO THIS PROCESS ON EACH VOCAL TRACK!!!!

Effects:

You'll want effects on each track. Every major artist uses them, despite what you think. To get that professional sound, you need them. But don't overdo them, you don't want to sound like a robot either.
On tracks 1 & 2, put a Tight and Close reverb on your vocal selection. this will give you a fuller sound, and better pressence. On the 3rd track, play around with different effects, to get a different reverb from tracks 1 & 2, but make sure it blends well with them. Play around a bit, and see what you like. Remember, you can put more than one effect on your track, to get thousands of different outcomes.

Have fun, and happy recording!!!!

-Change

Change of POETS said:
It's cool.

Lemme know if you need anything else.

i find that if i use 3 vocal tracks theres to much going on that it takes away from my lyrics and im doing storytelling so i want listeners to hear my words clearly...any suggestions? thank you

Logik_01 said:
i find that if i use 3 vocal tracks theres to much going on that it takes away from my lyrics and im doing storytelling so i want listeners to hear my words clearly...any suggestions? thank you

Here dogg... I do storytellin hip-hop as well, listen to the song titled "5-Mile Queen"

It's got 3 vocal tracks on it... but you can't tell.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/3/changemusic.htm

You just need to be on point with your lyrics, and you add-libs so they blend well.

Listen to that joint, and tell me if you think the 3 vocal tracks pull away from the focus of the lyrics...

Change of POETS said:
Here dogg... I do storytellin hip-hop as well, listen to the song titled "5-Mile Queen"

It's got 3 vocal tracks on it... but you can't tell.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/3/changemusic.htm

You just need to be on point with your lyrics, and you add-libs so they blend well.

Listen to that joint, and tell me if you think the 3 vocal tracks pull away from the focus of the lyrics...

nice track b, im feeling that...if u dont mind can u tell me the volumes of the tracks and the eq volumes you used. also, which effects did you use like reverb etc etc? thats exactley the type of sound im trying to achieve...

thanks a lot.

by the way, "family letter" beautiful track b

The volumes in the tutorial are what I use myself... that's why I put them in there. :)

But they may not work for you, so play around with them, until you get the depth of your voice the way you want it.

Track volume depends. The beat alone, I try to keep around -3 db, and with vocals added, I like to keep the track at -1 db max... sometimes I get a little clipping... You'll have to record a few tracks, and burn some songs on CD-R. Listen to them in different places, home stereos, car stereos etc... and make adjustment accordingly. It takes a while, but eventually you'll figure out what works best for you.

As far as reverbs are concerned, it mostly depends on how I'm spitting. If I'm spitting fast on a beat, I want a "Tight and Close" reverb, with minimal echoe, but just to add depth. That's what I did with "Family Letter". But for Songs where I'm spittin slower, like 5-Mile queen, I add a Delay effect, with mininmal echoe... I don't like a robotic sound. I like to make my voice sound fuller, so i add some light echoe, but giving it more depth... you want the reverb to blend smoothly with the track. As you play around, you'll find things you like and things you dislike the same. BTW, I don't use any of the presets... I refer to them for people in the tutorial but, I always tweek them to sound how I want... the presets are just starting points.

Thanks for peeping my tracks. Glad you liked them. My album is for sale if you're interested. www.cafepress.com/changehiphop

-Brian

Change of POETS said:
Recording Tips for Hip-Hop in Cool Edit Pro 2.0:

1st. Record your verse on one track........... . Remember, you can put more than one effect on your track, to get thousands of different outcomes.

Have fun, and happy recording!!!!

-Change

I didn't want to qoute all your words.............. EXCELLENT POST!

peace,
flat-9

Uh, Logik... I'm not entirely sure if "Change of POETS" is pulling yer leg or what, but that was a whole bunch of really BAD advice. Boosting the high on the 3-band eq by 10!!!??? Running noise reduction on every track!!!???? This is NOT the road to a good-sounding recording.

I just thought I'd let you know: you need to do some reading and learning - the archives of this place and www.studiocovers.com are good places to start. Basically, there aren't settings that you just apply to a track to make it sound good. Every situation is different and you gotta actually learn what the effects processors DO and WHY - just taking someone else's settings and applying them to your tracks is never gonna work. That's just the way it is, unfortunately.

"Change" did mention that presets were just starting points, but the settings he posted aren't even good starting points - and the whole noise reduction thing is just nuts (which makes me think he might have been fucking with you).

Anyway, a little warning for ya.

Chris

I've been waiting for it... :D

Also, I leave my breath noise in my tracks. I leave all sorts of things in - string flubs and squeaks, mouth noises, rattling jewelry - kinda like real life, ya know? Dunno, maybe rap has a tradition of editing all that stuff out the way they airbrush out a model's moles and stuff before they take her picture. Seems to me that audible breath makes the track more interesting vocally. And rap's all about voice, right?

groucho said:
Uh, Logik... I'm not entirely sure if "Change of POETS" is pulling yer leg or what, but that was a whole bunch of really BAD advice. Boosting the high on the 3-band eq by 10!!!??? Running noise reduction on every track!!!???? This is NOT the road to a good-sounding recording.

Do you do Hip-Hop? Are you speaking from experience as a Hip-Hop artist/engineer?

If you don't run the noise reduction, you get that standard electronic buz from your Mic pre in your audio, and it makes it sound like trash. I've been working in professional studios for 4 years now, and I've had my own private home studio for only 2 years. If you think my advice sucks... go listen to the clarity of my music. Click on my website button at the bottom of my post. Listen to 5-Mile Queen, or Family Letter, both were recorded in my home studio, with my "method" which you've called a "joke". :rolleyes:

Like I said, those setting work for ME, but everyone will need to use their own volumes to get their voice sounding as full as needed.

I just thought I'd let you know: you need to do some reading and learning - the archives of this place and www.studiocovers.com are good places to start. Basically, there aren't settings that you just apply to a track to make it sound good. Every situation is different and you gotta actually learn what the effects processors DO and WHY - just taking someone else's settings and applying them to your tracks is never gonna work. That's just the way it is, unfortunately.

This is true, and I believe I said the same thing.

"Change" did mention that presets were just starting points, but the settings he posted aren't even good starting points - and the whole noise reduction thing is just nuts (which makes me think he might have been fucking with you).

Anyway, a little warning for ya.

Chris

Basically, you live up to your screen name. Constructive criticism is one thing, but to be flat-out rude is another.

-Brian

Back