Help!! CoolEditPro 1.1 crashes with FX

Mike Richardson

Please help! This is driving me C-R-A-Z-Y!

If I record a guitar track into Cool Edit Pro, lets say that it's just a clean guitar track with no effects (via the use of pedals).... and I want to add some effects to the guitar part... lets say some reverb... whenever I select the plugin that I wish to use, Cool Edit crashes EVERY SINGLE FUCKING TIME I select an effect and click "preview". It didn't used to do this... it was fine awhile ago, but it's just started having hissy fits and getting an error in "kernel32.dll" or sometimes "<unknown>". It's driving me insane, and I've tried reinstalling about a billion times.

if anyone else has had this problem and knows how to stop it - PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!

Currently I'm downloading the 1.2 patch, but I dont know if that will make any difference. Please reply anyway... I need this to work for a music project for uni!!!!

Thanks

-Mike

I've totally had that problem.

Sometimes I have it with specific effects under 1.0... and I switch to 1.1 and its fine. Sometimes I have it with 1.1... and under 1.0 its fine. Sometimes it wont work with either and I have to use SF or some other effect or something.

are you using win98? cuz ALL my problems were with that.. and when I edit under w2000, its been cool so far. But I haven't tried everything.

Until you get the patch, try a reinstall of CEP. it only takes a minute (dont bother UNinstalling.. just reinstall over the top).. and it can totally help. I have a little theory that installing other programs torques the files, and if I install CEP LAST, i get fewer problems.

xoxoo

actually, with my shit... it crashes SOMETIMES under 1.2, but on DIFFERENT effects. In fact, I cant remember the specifics, but I remember 1.2 sucking so bad that I went back to 1.1 and never tried 1.2 again.

But I do really weird things to my comp.;)

xoxo

I haven't run into "preview effects" crashes, but regarding other crashes I've run into on CEP, you have to LOVE being able to start up right where you crashed from. I think this changes when you fuck with the file-saving options, but I'm glad it comes defaulted "on," it's saved my ass many a time...

Yeah, but I was running two instances of CEP when everything froze and hung and decided to float dead in space. After I rebooted, only *one* instance of CEP was reinstated. I lost one, and didn't manage to retrieve it from Windows Temp either.

Save as you go would seem to be the lesson learned here.

Actually, the lesson I'd learn is don't run CEP while running CEP. :D

With programs like CEP (and Photoshop, and other memory and processor intensive applications), I'd rather wait on a different session than run the risk of getting a little "blurb" of misinformation in a song. Yeah, yeah, our songs are "off" anyway, but I do think that between the many programs that Windows has to bounce around, there's going to be some data that goes to the wrong app.

Plus, with 550 Mhz, I gotta squeeze what juice I can into ONE CUP, or I'll end up with lemon juice all OVER the place, if you know what I mean.

I think the common swapfile cache, common directories, and the "inbreeding" I do (opening files from other projects I shouldn't be opening, using them, and then trying to use them again even though I've forgotten I'm already using them!) can make a mountain out of the little molehill problems Windows breeds anyway.

(anybody else here have these "Rhythym (2) (2) (5) (etc..) on their drives? hehe)

maybe thats my problem. Ill run like, 6, 7, 8 copies all at once... get them all processing, and go have lunch;)

it usually works. Especially since I got 256MB of RAM. And If I use DirectX plugins for reverb and delays, and NOT the built in CEP dealie.

xoxo

CEP 1.2 did a lot for me when I had that problem . Once I got 1.2 most crashes stopped. It still isn't the most reliable program out there though. THe third party DX pluggins often cause crashing. That is just the CEP works. I would suggest getting out of WIN98 or ME and into 2k If possible, if not, good thing for the autosave.
MIKE

Back