Getting a weird flanging effect on mic'd 12 string

Polaris20

Hey,

I am getting this weird flanging/phasing sound when I record my 12 string with a MXL603.

It's very subtle, but I can here it. I thought it had something to do with my monitoring settings, but it does seem to be in the playback of the audio.

Any ideas? I know I am missing a setting somewhere, but I can't find it in the manual.

Oh yeah, it's CEP2.1.

Is it like a chorus effect?

12 strings usually sound chorusy or like there is doubling due to the double strings.

You using only one mic?

Tukkis

Maybe....

You are routing in such a way that you are hearing or tracking both a pre- and post-converter signal. Usually this creates a feedback loop, but not always.

I'm not sure this is it, but maybe.....

Damn it's kinda irritating. It doesn't seem to happen with electric through my POD, to the board to the card.

Tell us your signal chain. I think stuntmixer might be right. It sounds like you are getting a feedback loop or doubling of the same signal which leads to flanging.

How are you monitoring the signal?

Tukkis

12string-->MXL603-->Behringer 802-->Echo Mia-->CEP-->Echo Mia-->Behringer-->AKG's

It doesn't seem to do it with my electric through the POD though. Friggin weird.

I'll see if I can post an MP3 on my new webhost, and see if you guys can tell from that.

Does the same thing happen with any source with the mic? If you talk into it does it sound weird?

Does it sound weird while you are tracking or only on playback? Are you monitoring the input channel or the return channel, or both?

Back