Getting A More Full Sound

Get_Up_Kid_18

Im wondering how to get a much more full sound when recording my acoustic guitar tracks.....If you have ever listened to Dashboard Confessional u will know what im talking about....So far all i have done is record multiple tracks and pan them all crazy...this helps....but i want a more full sound..can anyone help me with that? does cool edit have any filters or equalizers that will do that? thanks.

In the scientific filters section, there is a "fullness" setting. Hit that. Hit it hard for best results. If that doesnt work, try 6 months-1 year or so of experimenting with the parametric EQ, the multiband compression and the full reverb. If that doesnt work, continue for another 3-5 years and then check back here. :)

More to the point, to get any kind of "full" acoustic guitar sound you need to be micing right...with the good mics, good pres, and good positioning. If all that is done well then there is not much to do in cool edit. If all that is not done well then nothing in cool edit is going to make it sound like Dashboard Confessional. (Although Ive never heard them, I have no doubt about where their killer acoustic guitar sound..great mics, pres, positioning, and room.)

Good Luck.

The first thing you need is a full-sounding guitar.

Next a full-sounding room.

Next, 3 good microphones. One large diaphram condensor and a pair of smaller mics.
Place the big guy about a foot in front of your sound hole. Position the other two in a nice stereo array about 6 feet back.. or somewhere in the room that sounds sweet. Pan the little ones harde L and R and leave the other center.

Record.

listen.

Move the mics around.

Record.

listen.

Move the mics around.

repeat the last 6 steps about 4 more times.

Put it at the one you like best.

Now take a half hour and dial in your EQ and compression settings. If you dont have outboeard gear you're gonna have to try and viasualize it.

thats what I do.

xoxo

Camn, do you have the outboard gear, or do you do the visualization exercise? :) Serious...

Back